Briggs 22hp Intek bent rods

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 22hp intek with about 650 hours on it. It wasn't running right. I toke it in to John Deere and they said the rods were bent. They replaced them and the new ones bent right away. They said it may be cam. I tore motor apart and cam looks fine to me. It's not bent and nothing looks damaged. When I move the things the rod connects to(rocker, valve) they don't give more resistance than I think there should be. I did clean the carb out a few months before this. One of the plugs looks dirtier than the other. I really don't know what I'm doing if that's not obvious any help would be appreciated.

If the valves were not adjusted right when the new push rods were installed....maybe they got loose...slipped position and were bent.

You assume the installer knew what he was doing...
Both rods bent seems odd.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Measure the valve spring closed & Open height ( top of spring to head floor ) on the side that does not bend rods and on the bad side.
If the bad side is signifinantly shorter > 1/10" then ask Walt how to fix it.
Take the head off.
If the cam is the problem the valves would be touching the top of the piston & leaving a mark.
You can check this by putting a thin layer of plasticine , silly putty or similar on the piston, reassembling the head & running the starter for a few seconds.
Remove the head and look for holes where the valves has kissed the piston.
While the head is off gently push down on the piston while rotating the engine by hand.
If you feel a click then the big end / conrod is toast and may allow the piston to come up a bit higher and perhaps hit the valves.
Finally, the inlet rod should be alloy and thus bend easily but the exhaust should be steel and it is rare for them to bend.
Jump off yes but bend no.
Getting right into the obscure on the top of each valve stem is a little cup that the rocker sits on check the ones on the good side are the same as the ones on the bad side.
Lash caps do come in different heights, the mechanic could have lost yours and fitted replacement that were too long.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the method to reset a pushed valve guide and have it last?

Jim68

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that's fine for you, for others they can fix it for less than $10 and dozens have over the last several years using my method. Let us know how things work out Jim.

Walt Conner

I haven't fixed the valve guides yet. After reading the steps a few times it seems like an easy fix.
Where do you recommend getting parts from? I plan to get a gasket set since I need one for the bottom, valve covers and I assume the head.
Thanks

Tinkerer200

Threads
I really can not tell you that as I got my parts from a couple of whole sale houses and now thru a friend who gets them from a B&S Distributor. That sump gasket kit is going to cost you about $25 by its'self and certainly you need head gasket as that is a primary failure point.

Walt Conner

Jim68

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_0130.jpgIMG_0131.jpg

Here are pictures of the piston and the head. Seeing as I've never done this does the piston look ok? The inside of the cylinder looks fine to me.
And the head is a little discolored,I'm assuming from heat, is it ok. It also show how the bushing is pushed out.

Tinkerer200

Threads
View attachment 30131View attachment 30132

Here are pictures of the piston and the head. Seeing as I've never done this does the piston look ok? The inside of the cylinder looks fine to me.
And the head is a little discolored,I'm assuming from heat, is it ok. It also show how the bushing is pushed out.

I don't see anything wrong but why did you take the rocker arms & studs out? I would use lock tight on those studs when putting them back.

Walt Conner

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cylinder is fine, replace the head though, because getting that guide back in place and making it stay is about impossible.

Tinkerer200

Threads
The cylinder is fine, replace the head though, because getting that guide back in place and making it stay is about impossible.

That is absolutely not true and there are several dozen people from the 6 forums I am active on who have done it successfully. I am surprised that a person of your experience would say such a thing. Actually there is more than one procedure which has been successful.

Walt Conner

Jim68

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't see anything wrong but why did you take the rocker arms & studs out? I would use lock tight on those studs when putting them back.

Walt Conner

I thought I needed to to get the springs out.