Briggs 21 HP is hard to start

DJSNOW

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the gap settings on the exhaust and intake valves on a Model 331877; Type 014681; Code 100513zd? Also why won't a new starter "push" past the compression stroke? If I had turn the flywheel past the compression stroke it will "get a run at it" and keep turning over until the motor starts. Help!

Travlitt

Threads
What is the gap settings on the exhaust and intake valves on a Model 331877; Type 014681; Code 100513zd? Also why won't a new starter "push" past the compression stroke? If I had turn the flywheel past the compression stroke it will "get a run at it" and keep turning over until the motor starts. Help!

You can find all of the engine specs here.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/engine_specs/briggs_valve_gaps.asp

Proper valve adjustment of the valves will cure the hard starting problem.

Neo7

Threads
Hi All,

I have the same problem with my 24HP V-Twin B&S (40777-0128-E1)
I recently replaced the Starter Motor and ensured good (heavy gauge wire/battery/charge) connections to the solenoid, motor and negative to case, but it still the same.
I've set the valve timing many times in the past but just to prove the point what adjustments could I make to the vale timing?

Many thanks.
Neo.

Neo7

Threads
"compression release"... What compression release?... Where is the compression release? :confused2:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It's on the camshaft inside the engine.
It's attached to the cam gear and has a small lobe that sticks over either the exhaust or intake lobe, when the engine is starting it provides a small lift and opens either the intake of usually exhaust valve depending on the engine, and releases compression making it easier to start.
Then when the engine is up to idling speed, by means of centrifugal force the mechanism pivots out of the way of the cam lobe and lifter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tceKAAViC1c

Neo7

Threads
That's a great feature Scrubcadet but regrettably that's not my engine. I recently rebuilt my engine (spent many hours in there lol!) and I saw nothing that could provide compression release.
Maybe I have caused some confusion here because my engine is the 24HP V-Twin (40777-0128-E1).

Romore

Threads
There will be a spring loaded flyweight on the camshaft, it has to operate freely.

Neo7

Threads
No there's definitely no spring loaded flyweight on the camshaft of an Intek V-Twin Engine.
But nonetheless the problem is solved :wink:

It was the valve timing... This is what happens when you live in denial :laughing: ... As mentioned I rebuilt the whole engine only a few months back and with minimal use I couldn't believe the valve timing had changed in that time. But when I got in there with the feeler gauges sure enough it had.

Thanks for your support guys. It helped me see the light :thumbsup:

All the best.
Neo