Briggs 190 cc frozen choke and throttle

Mattmotors

Active Member
Briggs and Stratton 121S07-0167-F1 190cc.
Ok, I know it is freezing here , Upstate New York. I have the Briggs on a DR Power Wagon. It seems as the if the auto choke and throttle are frozen. It starts and runs and I know the choke is stuck on by the way it runs and smells. I run it for a few minutes then shut it down, The heat from the engine usually frees things up. The choke seems to release first . The choke will release and the engine will shoot off like a rocket, Wide open. no control on the throttle lever. I shut it down for a couple more minutes, then the throttle will release. After that , It runs like nothing happened.
Anyone else experience this? I think I probably have to WD40 the choke and throttle shafts on the carb. The problem (for me) is that the engine Is so low to the ground that I'll have to lay down to get to it. I'll make sure I wear my Medic Alert button. Please share your thoughts. Thanks, Matt.
 
First burning fuel left over from the Summer that has ethanol in it? Ethanol will cause carb icing at higher temperature. And I seen carb icing at 40F on my personal mower and at 70F on a Piper Tomahawk airplane.

It just like running Winter fuel in the Summer can cause the fuel to boil easier in the fuel line.
 
As far as fuel, I go thru a lot. I always use Ethanol free and add a water absorbing additive. fuel doesn't sit long here.
 
As far as fuel, I go thru a lot. I always use Ethanol free and add a water absorbing additive. fuel doesn't sit long here.
Since carb icing can occur at any temperature I still think you have an icing problem that a heat deflection to warm the air would help like they do on Snowblowers. Even that Tomahawk had a carburetor heating system which was only reason I didn't crash.
 
Back
Top