Briggs 18 hp Intec blowby

mtfallsmikey

Threads
First thread on here, did a search on this, no direct results, so here we go..

I sucked up 2 Craftsman LT-1000's, one with the matching bagger, (orig. engine Kohler, was replaced) one without, mid-late 90's vintage. Both have 18 hp. 1 cyl. Intec's, blowing oil smoke badly. Carbs seem ok, no signs of leakage into crankcase, some say head gaskets/valves are the culprit, some say these engines overheat, distorting the cylinder causing blowby, some say they are total junk, what say you?

chance123

Threads
Oil level OK? Perhaps you have collapsed rings. I have on occasion taken an old engine with similiar problems and run straight ATF at low rpm for about 5 minutes. ATF is an "extremely" high detergent 30wt oil which will completely clean the inside of an engine. You won't believe the crap that comes out when you drain it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If they are OHV engines, my bet is on a blown head gasket. Quick check, start engine, 3/4 throttle, remove dipstick and let it rest on top of the fill tube. If it starts bouncing around, I would replace the head gasket. This has become an all to familiar problem with all manufactures OHV engines.

mtfallsmikey

Threads
Oil level OK? Perhaps you have collapsed rings. I have on occasion taken an old engine with similiar problems and run straight ATF at low rpm for about 5 minutes. ATF is an "extremely" high detergent 30wt oil which will completely clean the inside of an engine. You won't believe the crap that comes out when you drain it.

Please allow me to be stupid for a moment...What exactly do you mean by "collapsed" rings?

tybilly

Threads
oil rings get stuck in their lands and cant do their job,(scraping the oil off the cylinder wall)oil makes its way to the combustion chamber.