Briggs 17hp Intek OHV Hard To Turn Over

John ARE YOU PLAYIN GAMES ..??
put the valve cover back on, put the plug back in, put a shot of gas in the carb, climb in the seat THROTTLE WIDE OPEN ( you put gas in the carb...RIGHT ...?? ) turn the &^%$#@#$#@ key and bring that thing to life already !!
 
Good they are opening and closing, but is the inlet opening a second time , just a tiny bit just before TDC to decompress th cylinder.
If not the decompression mechanism is not working.
If the engine does not decompress then the starter motor can not spin the engine fast enough to start it.
I swear I saw it move just a little bit. If it's not the decompression mech, then what am I doing wrong? I've done this before on another mower. Same motor.
 
STRANGE .. we have 2 members with the same problem at the same time !!! Well john it's beginning to look like it may be something INTERNAL , like Bert said a broken compression release, or worn camshaft , the push-rods APPEAR to look OK. I know we went through the valve adjustment procedure before ...
 
Right. Thanks. So I'll order a gasket set and dig into it and see what I find inside.

John I have NOT checked the parts list for YOUR MODEL of engine, but the compression release may be part of the camshaft, just a heads up in case you need to order that as well...... I believe you have the Parts Manual for that engine .. ??
 
John I have NOT checked the parts list for YOUR MODEL of engine, but the compression release may be part of the camshaft, just a heads up in case you need to order that as well...... I believe you have the Parts Manual for that engine .. ??

Yes, Its part of the camshaft. I have what I need. I will crack it open tomorrow and confirm. Thanks.
 
Back
Top