Briggs 14hp IC not running right

Chris_feldk

Threads
Hi all, I have a Briggs 14hp ic I just swapped on a mower, carb was junk and unrepairable unfortunately had to get a Chinese one. Anyways the motor won’t rev past 2300 rpm and has very poor throttle response, if you put it to idle then wide open, it just falls on its face until it finally picks up. Been dealing it with a week and it’s got me stumped. I’ve adjusted the valves, new spark plug and gapped it. Gapped the ignition coil and made sure it had fresh gas. The throttle plate on the carb stays wide open but is only running at about 2300 rpm, the governor never moves. Starting to thing maybe the valves aren’t seating properly or need new intake gaskets but If anyone had any ideas that would be great thanks.

MowerNick

Threads
More than likely it is still the Chinese carb. 95 percent of those do not run right

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it came to me I would remove the carb and the remove the main jet and nozzle to make sure all orifaces are open. If you need more help posted back with all engine numbers, original carb number and replacement carb number. With those we can provide more help.

Chris_feldk

Threads
I cleaned the all the orifaces and jets and still no luck. Probably a junk china carb. Ordered a oem Walbro. Will update when i get it and install it. Thank guys!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up the Briggs model numbers, so we know what you have.

Forest#2

Threads
Yep, post model type and code.

Manually move the throttle plate to the wide open [position.
This will normally bypass any governor control. If it then speeds up you will need to do a static governor adjust.
If that is a Twin make sure that both cylinders are producing power EQUALLY.

Freddie21

Threads
Make sure you put in for a refund, or replacement, of that crap carb. All seller I have dealt with will provide one, or the other, and probably won't want the carb back as there's gas in it. They know what they're selling.

Forest#2

Threads
As freddie21 says:
Make sure you put in for a refund, or replacement, of that crap carb. All seller I have dealt with will provide one, or the other, and probably won't want the carb back as there's gas in it. They know what they're selling.

If it came from Amazon they will usually issue a full refund after doing the on-line refund contact and may not want it back but if they do want it returned it's on them.

That return policy is the reason when I roll the dice on China crap carb's replacements I go to Amazon. I'm getting to where i can usually take two or three of them Nikki carbs and make one run correctly sometimes removing parts from a clone and installing into the real Nikki's.

Chris_feldk

Threads
Yes it is a single cyl, i have the model number but when entered in my Briggs power portal on the model lookup it comes up as a 16hp so I'm not sure if the number is wrong or not. And yes i manually moved the throttle plate and still doesn't rev where it should.

Forest#2

Threads
Post up the model, type and code for us?

Ignore what the HP says. (Briggs labeled hp of same engines how ever they want to and got sued for such)

If you use all the above info you will get on the correct page.

Last edited: