Briggs 14.5hp motor

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my last posts I said that all the safety switches were hooked back up and it still only sparks when you release the key from the start position. Briggs & Straton model# 287707 0225 01.

And Tim,
For the last time.
Your problem s not the engine, it is the mower.
If you won't tell us what the mower is we can not tell you how to solve your problem save a gallon of gas and a well placed match

The spark is controlled BY THE BLOODY MOWER not the DARNED ENGINE
so unless the cut out wire is earthing out to the engine some where under the top engine cover your problem is with the wiring of the mower.
When you pull off the top cover on the engine you will also see the cut out wire so you will know where it comes out og the mower .
You will also find the plug which will disconnect it from the entine control system so you can start it but not stop it.
Good luck and remember Darwinism is real Creationism is not so the LOrd will not stop idiots killing themselves which i why the Government made all these safety switchs mandatory.

tim2

Threads
It is a Murray model #42704X8B

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tim, remove the blower housing from the top of the engine. Locate the ignition module next to the flywheel. There should be a single wire connected to that module. Unplug it. Now remember you will need to find another way to kill the engine since there will be no shutoff at this mount without shutting off fuel or grounding the spark plug wire or grounding the prong on the module with something.

If the mower starts and runs then you have a problem with the mower wiring. Most likely a safety switch. On some murray mowers the engine will crank but will not fire if you are not sitting on the seat, so check the seat switch very carefully.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the oil level ...??? Some engine are equipped with a low oil switch to prevent the engine from starting if the oil level is too low, you could pull the plug, squirt some fuel into the cylinder and use a jumper cable direct from the battery positive to the starter terminal , if it starts to run, the problem is in the mowers harness and not the engine........ be sure the battery NEGATIVE has a good clean ground to the frame or engine .......... Boobala :smile:

tim2

Threads
Well that did not take long. Cleaned the negative ground wire and contact point. No spark. Found and traced the small black wire from the Armaeture, it went under the engine and then was connected (soldered) to a YELLOW wire going to the ignition key. Which the wiring diagam show it as part of the OFF function. Cut the wire and grounded the spark plug and got great spark with the key in start position. Reattach black to yellow and had no spark, until I released the key from the start position then I got two or three sparks.

So a new question. Where should the armeture wire be connected/ I did not dsee any lose or ends of wires laying around.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My older murray shows a yellow wire ( Y 4 ) that can be disconnected on left side of the engine. Shown lower left in the schematic. Comes from ignition switch and grounds mag when switch is in off position.

Attachments

• Murray Schematic  2002.jpg
    Murray Schematic 2002.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Murray Switch wiring.jpg
    Murray Switch wiring.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 11

tim2

Threads
Boobala posted a wiring diagram a few posts above. That has the same ignition switch that is on my mower, it has 7 tabs and wires coming off it. The problem is the ground wire coming off the armature was not hooked up to wherever it is suppose to be hooked. and I cannot find where it should or what it should be hooked to.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you positive that is the DC ( direct current ) mag ground wire that's not hooked to anything and not the AC ( alternating current ) wire for the head lamps.

If that engine doesn't have an electric solenoid fuel cut off on the carburetor it should run with the mag kill wire disconnected. It wouldn't even need a battery or starter but only a way to crank it.

tim2

Threads
The mag wire is not hooked to anything, thats the only way I can get it to spark.