Briggs 10.5hp ohv backfiring through intake *EDIT*

cxbxr.3

Member
I got this mower second hand have no history on it other than it would not start, so I replaced the carburetor & spark plug changed the oil & it fired up,, problem is it coughs through the carb about ever 3-4 seconds & causes a slight engine speed surge when it does. I am checking valve clearance tomorrow but is there anything else I should look at ? it starts right up withing a second of the starter engaging & runs really good aside from the cough through the carb... The mower itself is a 2016 model so the engine appears to be the same.
 
Last edited:
Might check for air leaks around carb mount, spray some carb cleaner or WD40 around gasket areas. Maybe add a little choke manually and see if that clears it up. I am thinking lean mixture.

Walt Conner
 
Might check for air leaks around carb mount, spray some carb cleaner or WD40 around gasket areas. Maybe add a little choke manually and see if that clears it up. I am thinking lean mixture.

Walt Conner

And use a trigger pack cause a stray spark will remodel your eyebrows.
 
Valve clearance is spot on, tried another carb same thing happened,, plug is light brown so that seems good but odd. I'm going to get some gasket sealer & seal up the intake joints got a new oring coming in for the intake elbow at the head will report back tomorrow
 
Back
Top