Brake Woes

Jess23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old Craftsman 9172710112 riding mower that I let my renters use. Big mistake, they left it out in the rain for several week besides whatever other abuse they perpetuated upon the poor old girl. When I got it back the brake assembly was mounted backwards with no return spring attatched and both mandrels were froze up. I have replaced the mandrels and repaired the brake assembly but the rear wheels still turn even though the brake holds the rotor firmly. And yes, all three keyways are in place and the wheels are mounted correctly. There is no noise associated with the problem either. Could the problem possibly be related to the clutch which is internal within the transxle? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jess

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an old Craftsman 9172710112 riding mower that I let my renters use. Big mistake, they left it out in the rain for several week besides whatever other abuse they perpetuated upon the poor old girl. When I got it back the brake assembly was mounted backwards with no return spring attatched and both mandrels were froze up. I have replaced the mandrels and repaired the brake assembly but the rear wheels still turn even though the brake holds the rotor firmly. And yes, all three keyways are in place and the wheels are mounted correctly. There is no noise associated with the problem either. Could the problem possibly be related to the clutch which is internal within the transxle? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jess
Are both rear wheels on the ground, the brake set and locked and you can push it when in neutral?