Brake replacement instructions

Berniebac

Threads
I searched the forum for instructions on how to replace the brakes on a lawn tractor but did not find any. I have an old roper that I am trying to get back into running order. I got it started up today and running again but you really have to stand on the brakes to make it stop.

Anyone have a "how to" on doing a brake replacement? I have a parts diagram and part numbers, but am not sure I can get the original parts. I hope that maybe Sears might be able to cross reference them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the transmission and/or unit model numbers so we know the type of trany you have.

Berniebac

Threads
Hello again Rivets. My manual indicates Transaxle No. 794191A Model No 143.658A. Hope this is of some help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This should be a simple fix. You will find a brake disc on the left side of the tranny, I think. There are three bolts holding it place, two small one attach the outer shoe and the large one in the center is the adjusting nut. Have you tried to adjust the nut tighter to increase the pressure on the shoes? You should be able to get replacement shoes/pads at any dealer who has Tecumseh parts. If you the outside holder, you must remove the adjusting nut and lever first, it just makes reassembly easier. One shoe/pad will fall out as will a thin piece of metal. Don't lose this, it goes behind the pad and the two small short rods push against this piece of metal. Let me know if you need more help.

Berniebac

Threads
I think you are right. My parts diagram shows two brake pads and a brake disc to the left side of the transaxle. I can't really picture it on the tractor as I have not looked that closely for the brakes but will take a closer look in a couple days. I'll take a shot at it and see if I can get it apart. It looks like I have to remove a couple lock nuts and a couple hex head cap screws and it should come apart. I think what I am struggling to see is how this is connected to the brake peddle, which is located on the right side of the tractor and if I have to remove much more of the brake/peddle mechanism. Won't know till I see it.

Is it necessary to jack the tractor up? Do you think there is additional disassembly of the brake peddle mechanism required?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the brake petal is on the right this will be on the right. Just follow the brake rod from the pedal to the brake lever. Jacking it up, put on stands and removing the wheel will make it a lot easier. Should only have to disassemble all parts by the tranny.

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks I will give it a try. Can't get to it for a few days and will try to follow up once I take a shot at it.

Berniebac

Threads
I tore the brakes down today and the pads did not seem worn. So I lube the little sliders (pins) and reassembled everything according to the instructions in the owners manual. They seemed to work better, but I just got to testing them by driving around the yard when the main drag link for the steering broke. Guess its better that it happened at slow speed. I am going to start a new post inquiring about repair or replacement of the drag link. Also about the charging system. Thanks for you help on the brakes. If adjusting them does not work I can easily strip them down and install new pads.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To replace the drag link just take it off, (some are threaded left hand) take it to your repair shop and have them match it up. If they are good they will have them in stock. Reassemble making sure you adjust so the wheels are straight.