Brake disc stuck... how can i remove it?

tiresharkdbb

Threads
Success! Ended up getting a 3 jaw puller from auto zone and it was a perfect fit for this thing... luckily there was enough space to get all 3 jaws behind it without modifying anything:

View attachment 23916

It wouldnt hardly budge at first, and i was cranking down on it pretty hard with a socket wrench. At one point i got some safety glasses cause i thought it was going to shatter. Backed everything off and sprayed pb all in it, as well as hit it a few times with a rubber hammer... also i took a propane torch to it for about 20 seconds all over.

Put everything back on and went at it again and it finally gave about 1/8th of an inch. Backed everything off and repeated the PB and torch. It kept giving a little at a time, and occasionally the whole assembly would start rotating, but a breaker bar in between the jaws fixed that:

KFqOBWu.jpg

Anyway, after about 15 minutes i got it all the way off and everything still looked in good shape:

0WKWTbf.jpg

Took another 10 minutes or so of dousing it with PB and working it back on and off the threads cause it was still extremely tight... but eventually i got it so i could take it off and on by hand.

And even better news, when i put it all back the brakes started working! Turns out those little studs in the caliper that push the pad were seized up... doused them with PB and kept pushing them in and out until they moved freely. That's the first time the brakes have worked since i bought it back in march haha.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys... you might see me in here some more. I really enjoyed rebuilding this and learning how everything works... from engine to electrical to brakes. I'm going to start telling my neighbors to bring their mowers over and i'll fix em just for fun, haha. Heck i even heard a rumor that you can make money doing this sort of stuff. !! :wink:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use anti-seize to wipe over the caliper pins, & light coat on the shaft splines as well good preventive maintence.