BR600 NO SPARK

Pecon16

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am Stumped I am working on a family members very abused older BR600. I cannot get spark. I have all of the wires disconnected, spark plug out and spin the engine with a drill so I don't have to keep removing the recoil starter. Due to the condition of the poor thing, I purchased an online cheap coil. First, I had to modify the housing and mounting screws due to its size.. NO LUCK …. so I purchased a sealed new in box Stihl coil.... still no spark. I have tried several different gap settings... starting at 010 as the specs say (BS OEM coils come with a gap setting card - but your other ideas are great)... still nothing. I have the plastic spacers in place behind the coil. Since I am only testing for spark, I am not concerned at this time about timing. Magnets are fine... very strong pull on both magnets.... cranking clockwise from the flywheel end...

I am using a copper wire from the coil wire and grounding to the engine and no spark...… any ideas where to go next besides the junk yard.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The thin wire is a kill wire and it grounds to kill the spark.

Pecon16

Forum Newbie
Threads
The thin wire is a kill wire and it grounds to kill the spark.

I should clarify -- I am using a piece of wire from the spark plug boot to ground to check for spark... it wont jump a spark plug. the ground wires are disconnected to eliminate any problem in the kill switch.

thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you spinning the engine fast enough to get spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And are you spinning it in the correct direction.
The Hall Effect trigger chip embedded in the magneto is polarity sensitive so if the coil is mounted upside down or the rotor is spinning in the wrong direction you will not get a spark.
Most coils have "engine side" cast into them because of this.
And some will be dstroyed if installed upside down, another reason why you can not get refunds on them.