Boy don't suggest someone to put down their phone...

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Boy don't suggest someone to put down their phone...
How things change for the worse . Now when their cell rings privacy is mandatory , if they are setting down they're up outta that chair like it caught fire and into another room . We were on a party line when i was a kid and if the phone rang everyone listened , including all of the inquisitive neighbor ladies .
Buy the way , our oak phone on the wall No. was 2,5,1,F3 . That is 2 shorts - 1 long - 2 shorts .
I can Xplain that to you kids if necessary .:ROFLMAO:

My aunts was two longs and a short. IIRC

davis2

Threads
How things change for the worse . Now when their cell rings privacy is mandatory , if they are setting down they're up outta that chair like it caught fire and into another room . We were on a party line when i was a kid and if the phone rang everyone listened , including all of the inquisitive neighbor ladies .
Buy the way , our oak phone on the wall No. was 2,5,1,F3 . That is 2 shorts - 1 long - 2 shorts .
I can Xplain that to you kids if necessary .:ROFLMAO:
Party lines were fun... We had the town gossiper on our line. I listened in occasionally. It was hilarious!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the 80's my wife's little town in west BFE still had manual long distance billing through the operator till General Telephone was consumed by Ohio Bell.
You had to tell the local operator what your number was and the long distance number you were calling and she timed the call and wrote it down. Operator went home at 8:00 PM. Everthing outside the town of 900 people was long distance. System didn't support touch tone phones either.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the day, there was a lot of collect calls made from "adababyitsaboy."
Operator: Do you accept the charges?
"Nope"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Back out of the Horsepital... Major fluid retention cause a lock in afib rate of 200 bpm. They ended up having to shock me to get me out of it. Now got to get new meds. Thanks that I don't have to get the Eliquis as I already got a supply. $535 per month pills.

And I hated those party lines. Never could pickup the phone to make a business call without someone quacking all day. And had to do everything on the QT.

Last edited:

AutoMechanic

Threads
Asking people in my generation to put their phones down… good luck lol. Heck even my 63 year old dad freaks out when he can’t have his phone.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is what I don't get. People with cell phones think they are going to die if they don't the phone. My lord that they have voice mail. But I got admit most of those will not even setup their voice mails.

Now the phone is good in case of a medical emergency as most people are scared to death to let someone use their phones.

But please people have some common sense and respect for others.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Someone's going to create an app for phones that allows THE PHONE to find it's owner. lol
It's the same as the find your phone app. Just marketed differently to make it sound easier.

upupandaway

Threads
I was at Kroger earlier today when the customer in front was struggling unloading the cart. I notice he had a phone in one hand which was limiting what he could pickup. I suggested putting the phone down for bit until he got cart unloaded. He went ballistic. Just acted like I attacked him so just walk away with him screaming at me. Besides I didn't want to do the paperwork. He didn't realize I was carrying my .357 with hollow points.

Come to find out he was running delivery service but with that attitude I surely would not be using him. Besides grocery are high enough don't need to paying someone to pick up and delivery them.

Personally I was always told guys with this attitude usually have a wife or girlfriend on the rag.
Did the generation not learn the "Hold on, let me put down the phone. Ill be back in a second..."???