Bought a new Honda!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Picked it up from the home depot (yes I know no dealer) but I got a hrr216vka for $300 couldnt pass it up. I have an old honda mower with a blown engine that has a blade clutch and a throttle control on it, I was wondering how diffucult it would be to put the throttle and blade clutch on the new one.

Well I have put about a lot of hours on this machine and here is my review.

First off overall the machine is very well built easy to maintain. The gcv160 is very nice I have put it through a lot of abuse and it doesn't hesitate. The quadracut is very nice I can fit a lot of clippings and leaves in the bag while leaving a beautiful clean cut. The smart drive is nice and fast easy to manuever.

Here the bad first off the smart drive has developed this squeak every time I engage it I haven't really poked around to find out why yet the little flappy paddle doesn't spring back anymore feels like I need to open the paddle up and lube the spring.

Now the worst this is the reason why if and when this machine dies I will not buy another honda. The part of the mower the bag sits in gets dirty all the time now I always bag I charge more for mulching cuz I hate it. Anyways when those get dirty and I fail to spend the time every single time I dump the bag to clean those out, I start mowing again and so much dirt and grass is in there that the bag will slip out and blow debris all over the place. Let's do some math let's assume I dump my bag six times per property I spend 30ish seconds per time I dump cleaning those annoying hooks that's 3 mins a property times about 10 houses a day that's 30 mins a day 2 and a half hours a week I have been trying to figure a way to jimmy rig the hooks so that they don't get dirty or maybe a new way to hang the bag. Anyone have any suggestions

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

First off overall the machine is very well built easy to maintain. The gcv160 is very nice I have put it through a lot of abuse and it doesn't hesitate. The quadracut is very nice I can fit a lot of clippings and leaves in the bag while leaving a beautiful clean cut. The smart drive is nice and fast easy to manuever.

Here the bad first off the smart drive has developed this squeak every time I engage it I haven't really poked around to find out why yet the little flappy paddle doesn't spring back anymore feels like I need to open the paddle up and lube the spring.

Now the worst this is the reason why if and when this machine dies I will not buy another honda. The part of the mower the bag sits in gets dirty all the time now I always bag I charge more for mulching cuz I hate it. Anyways when those get dirty and I fail to spend the time every single time I dump the bag to clean those out, I start mowing again and so much dirt and grass is in there that the bag will slip out and blow debris all over the place. Let's do some math let's assume I dump my bag six times per property I spend 30ish seconds per time I dump cleaning those annoying hooks that's 3 mins a property times about 10 houses a day that's 30 mins a day 2 and a half hours a week I have been trying to figure a way to jimmy rig the hooks so that they don't get dirty or maybe a new way to hang the bag. Anyone have any suggestions

Why would you charge more to mulch that's a whole lot less work then bagging. Most charge extra to bag

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why would you charge more to mulch that's a whole lot less work then bagging. Most charge extra to bag

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Because like I said I am not a big fan of how it looks. About middle of summer lawns start to look a little chlorotic and lose a bitof their green. I also like to cut low....like golf course low and mulching that isn't always a good idea. And last but not least the thatch ... good place for bugs and disease

stygz

Threads
The lawns probably loose their color due to lack of nitrogen or iron (or both) and possibly over watering. Over watering contributes to disease also and washout of nutrients. Nitrogen can be replaced by mulching clipping or fertilizer. I too mow low and mulch as I have Bermuda grass.

cobra2k1

Threads

I take it this is the Honda you were talkin bout in that other thread? :wink: Man I hate to hear that...I was looking at one of these myself the other day. From what u describing when mulching I bet that IS a mess. I hear what you are saying now dude....have you got a pic of it/problem?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I take it this is the Honda you were talkin bout in that other thread? :wink: Man I hate to hear that...I was looking at one of these myself the other day. From what u describing when mulching I bet that IS a mess. I hear what you are saying now dude....have you got a pic of it/problem?

No I don't have a pic and I'm sure the mulch plug would prvent it for you but I never mulch :/

cobra2k1

Threads
No I don't have a pic and I'm sure the mulch plug would prvent it for you but I never mulch :/

:laughing: Just meant wtd to see exactly what u talkn bout...if it makes THAT much of a mess, I'm gonna pass on this one too..BUT gotta be a way to fix it ya know? THE HD where I am stationed right now has it for a sweet price tho.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing: Just meant wtd to see exactly what u talkn bout...if it makes THAT much of a mess, I'm gonna pass on this one too..BUT gotta be a way to fix it ya know? THE HD where I am stationed right now has it for a sweet price tho.

The way I'm dealing with it is just cleaning the hooks every time I empty the bag its annoying as hell but I have to. The rest of the machine is beautiful

cobra2k1

Threads
The way I'm dealing with it is just cleaning the hooks every time I empty the bag its annoying as hell but I have to. The rest of the machine is beautiful

Oh man....that would kick my OCD into high gear dude...gonna have to maybe look into the HRX series :p But then you're talking about twice the bank on one of those..bummer. Bet all the HRR series have that flaw. You're right tho, it is a sweet machine.

MowerMike

Threads
Oh man....that would kick my OCD into high gear dude...gonna have to maybe look into the HRX series :p But then you're talking about twice the bank on one of those..bummer. Bet all the HRR series have that flaw. You're right tho, it is a sweet machine.

You are military, right ? Can't you get a military discount ?