I am writing a hub on hubpages.com and I want to get my facts straight before posting them. As regards bolt sizes, in general is it correct that American engines use imperial size fasteners, British engines are metric and Japanese engines are also metric?
That is the way I under stand it. Your metric system is so much easier then ours but I have been using inch system for so many years I don't like the metric system. I believe our fasteners are called imperial sizes but that word just isn't used over on this side of the pond very often, we use the word inch??
I am writing a hub on hubpages.com and I want to get my facts straight before posting them. As regards bolt sizes, in general is it correct that American engines use imperial size fasteners, British engines are metric and Japanese engines are also metric?
Oh - there is also whitworth fasteners used on older british stuff. You need a whole new set of tools for those...
Yeah, and the Brits specified their bolt sizes by the hex head size, i.e. wrench (sorry, spanner size) not the body diameter. :laughing:
We measure our bolt size different to our spanner/socket size.
We measure a 10mm socket size but bolt is a M6, a 13mm socket but bolt M8 and so on.
It the same way as imperial do it. A 1/2 socket is a 5/16 bolt and so on.