Bolens mystery part

Bomba

Threads
I've had a Bolens push mower for 10 years. The thing has been brought back to life more than 5 times. This time, after 3 weeks of attempting to start it, low and behold, it started again

image-3492409355.jpg

image-2781876186.jpg

!! Ran fine until the right side of the unit began to come apart from the rest of the engine. It looks like a bolt fell out. Anyway, I push it back in to where it should be (minus the bolt which I couldn't find) just to see if it would start again. It started again! This thing is like a cat! Never say die! Any idea what bolt I need? I'll post pictures.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bolt you are missing holds the fuel tank on. Should be 5/16---1 1/2" long.

This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk.

I think your right again. Could be 3/8" and I'll bet the threads in the aluminum casting are shot. Sooooo when you find a bolt (it may be 5/16" with a 3/8" collar where it supports the tank), be careful not to torque it any more than necessary.
The machine may be out of balance and you have excess vibration shaking things loose. Try to get the blade off and see if it's nicked up. If it is repair, balance or replace.

Bomba

Threads
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm off to the hardware store to try what u mentioned. Fingers crossed!

Bomba

Threads
That was the right size bolt! The Bolens is back working and hungry for more. Thanks again guys, very much appreciated.

Threads

Yep its the fuel tank bolt it should have a plastic spacer bushing behind it to.