Bolens 22HP B&S motor starting issue

Tristatepowerequip

Forum Newbie
Threads
good morning,

i am currently woking on a bolens 22hp, 46in cut lawn tractor with a starting issue. mower fires with starting fluid, runs for 10 seconds then cuts off. will not fire on its own. below are the steps i took to trouble shoot. looking for some assistance to repair this issue.

- replaced all fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and carb. checked vacuum line coming from right valve cover. jumped the connection from the (anti fire) solenoid with negative results. fresh fuel was added after the install. the engine has good spark and compression. am i missing something? i reached out to the dealer who sold me the new carb and trying to exchange it for a new one. (could be faulty)

- second issue lies with the engine not being able to turn over on its own. i am thinking that the starter might be going due to a new battery being installed.

-mower info: Model- 13ag683h163
Serial- 1b103b30269

Tinkerer200

Threads
Welcome to forum. You really should post the engine make & model. Sounds like it might be a B&S Intek twin. IF so, I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model and what you want.

Sounds to me like besides the valves needing adjusted it is not getting gas as if carb solenoid is not working. You say you jumped the solenoid but you did not say that it was actually working. I would remove the solenoid, depress the plunger, wedge a tooth pick beside it to hold it depressed, break off tooth pick then re-install solenoid and see if that helps. That way you have not ruined the solenoid. You say it runs 10 seconds, it would not run that long with one shot of starter fluid. Don't do it anyway as it will ruin your engine.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Tristatepowerequip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to forum. You really should post the engine make & model. Sounds like it might be a B&S Intek twin. IF so, I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model and what you want.

Sounds to me like besides the valves needing adjusted it is not getting gas as if carb solenoid is not working. You say you jumped the solenoid but you did not say that it was actually working. I would remove the solenoid, depress the plunger, wedge a tooth pick beside it to hold it depressed, break off tooth pick then re-install solenoid and see if that helps. That way you have not ruined the solenoid. You say it runs 10 seconds, it would not run that long with one shot of starter fluid. Don't do it anyway as it will ruin your engine.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Walt,

i will be emailing you the information requested for the service manual shortly. after i jumped the carb solenoid the motor still wouldn't fire. my supplier will be sending me a replacement carb to see if it was faulty. in the meantime, i'll adjust the valves.

Tristatepowerequip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Walt,

i will be emailing you the information requested for the service manual shortly. after i jumped the carb solenoid the motor still wouldn't fire. my supplier will be sending me a replacement carb to see if it was faulty. in the meantime, i'll adjust the valves.

took the current solenoid off and tested it once the key was in the "on" position and the plunger lowered. good sign. now i need to figure out why its not firing.