BOB-CAT by Ransomes, self propelled!

TheCaffeinatedOne

Threads
Update - Little guy cleans up well!

I found a stuck intake valve and got it loosened up, then there was a heck of a valve lash clanking happening in there, so I chickened out and took the motor to a repair shop to get the valves made happy. While the motor is being breathed on, I figured I'd clean up the rest of it and long story short, ended up priming and painting the deck and the handlebars with engine enamel. The closest I could get to the original color was Husqvarna orange, so that's what I used. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself, and high temp paint is pretty tough stuff. So here are a couple of pics all dressed up, plus a "before" pic showing a slightly compromised valve.

Now to get that little motor back and puttering happily...

Attachments

• Bob Cat front.jpg
    Bob Cat front.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Bobcat cleans up good.jpg
    Bobcat cleans up good.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1109.jpg
    DSCF1109.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 23

combatcarl

Threads
Dang. That looks nice. I need to get mine apart and rebuilt, just for kicks. Couple rock dings in the deck to fix up, too. I think I can still find bobcat green paint.

bobcat1980

Forum Newbie
Threads
They do. The front wheel bearings are in pretty good shape. The rear wheels pretty much let me pump as much grease through as I wanted - the seals are shot. Whether that means the bearing is shot as well, I just don't know. I assume it does. I've found replacement bearings for about five bucks per wheel on ebay, so I may spring for a pair and use them to learn how to press bearings.

The solid rear tires are split as well, but seem otherwise intact. For now I'll simply run four quarter inch bolts through each sidewall and bolt 'em back together. It's a three dollar fix. Hope to fiddle with the intake valve this weekend. It would be a hoot to get this little guy running without doing major surgery; my respect for it grows a little each time I mess with the thing.

I have the same bobcat mower in orange and it runs great and cleans up nice. A real beast, I think I bought it around 1980. Only thing it needs is both 10 inch rear wheels with pulley (for self prop. belt). They were splitting as well and eventually the rubber just came off. I can't find the right wheels anywhere. The model number is totally warm off. Any suggestions?

combatcarl

Threads
Kick around online, bob-cat homepage, then click the link they to their parts system. Schiller grounds care is the parent company. Some parts are still available, but disappearing quickly.

TheCaffeinatedOne

Threads
Check on ebay - I saw some there a while ago. But also consider the DIY approach: use a rust breaker solution like PB blaster or something to pull the bolts holding the drive pulley sheaves in place and take them with you shopping for wheels. Bobcat offers wheels with the same roller bearings for its modern machines, although they are expensive. But also consider a TS or generic 10" wheel and bolt on the pulley sheaves. You'd need to check the axle diameter to see if they'll fit or if you need to do some toggling. I don't see any reason why the sheaves can't be retrofitted to a generic wheel/tire combination.

I also have split rubber on my rear tires and plan literally to bolt the halves back together. The idea is to fill the crack / split with a rubber bonding agent of some sort and then run 1/4 " by 2 " bolts right through the solid rubber tire; three or four of them. I figure if they don't fall apart immediately then they should be good for another five years. I've also found roller bearings for the wheels on ebay for five bucks a wheel and hope to swap out the old bearings. So this stuff can be done; you just have to think like a roll of duct tape now and then.

friendafavor1

Forum Newbie
Threads
:drink:So about a week ago, I saw what appeared to be a mower with a cast aluminum deck, pop up on Craigslist, just south of me. Ad stated it may have a bad head gasket, but ran, and pushed itself, and was otherwise complete. I called, left a message, and then missed his call back. It ended up working out, as I went and picked it up today, and it appears to run and mow just fine. The neatest part is the sticker of where it was bought, business is long gone, but the mower has lived in this area its whole life, and was maintained very well, excepting some surface rust obscuring the engine model/type/code line. STICKER PIC AT BOTTOM.:cool:
Without further ado, I present:
IMG070.jpg

IMG071.jpg

IMG072.jpg

IMG074.jpg

IMG077.jpg

IMG073.jpg

It's a keeper, I'm afraid, to The Boss's chagrin, but will prove useful, so I don't feel bad. I had never seen one with a cast aluminum deck, nor could I find any information about them on the interwebs. The only two I could find were both posted/owned by same guy, and he really didn't know much either. Now to give it a full tune-up, and eventually paint! Any body here pick out any identifying features chime in! I couldn't find a model no. on it anywhere, but full daylight inspection may help with that. ENJOY!!!:drink:
A buddy of mine found one exactly like yours!! Same model #. He's pretty proud of it but his too needs ALOT of work. After he restores it and gets it running do you have any idea what its worth?

HeavyMetal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm picking one of these up today that I also found on Craigslist. More to come.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome Loveawake
Did you notice the time & date in the top left corner ?
Last post was July 2017 .