Blown Kohler Engine ?

mware43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 7 hp Kohler engine used on a 2-speed Troy Bilt "Horse" tiller purchased sometime in the 1970's. Think it has a broken connecting rod. The engine turns over freely with no compression resistance and the piston doesn't look to be moving. The engine was old and using a bit of oil but ran great otherwise. Think the oil got low and was plowing on a slope when this happened. Is there any chance this can be repaired or should I be looking at an engine replacement? Also, how do I get the engine off the tiller? It's not exactly obvious.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It may be able to be repaired, but some of the parts for those older engines are getting hard to find. Briggs, Honda, Kohler all make engines that will bolt right up and put you back to work. Be aware that the new engine are aluminum block as opposed to the old cast block of the kohler, so it may cause some balance issues, and some people have added weights under the new motor to compensate. If you look in around the engine pulley there are 4 bolts that are going through the cast piece that the engine is hanging from kind of like how a log splitter pump mounts onto the engine.

If you look were the engine slide pins are there is a small bolt their that can be loosened and then the pins driven out allowing the engine and cast piece it is bolted to to come off. Remove the engine pulley and the four bolts, reverse to reinstall with the new engine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That Magnum Kohler should be very repairable. Clean up the crankshaft and replace the rod. This was something that happen to that engine when it was ran short on oil.