Blowing Fuzes while Growing Weeds

Ok lets get to the skinny - I SCREWED UP - Was in a hurry when I installed a new battery, Not paying attention and talking to my son - HOOKED THE DANG THING UP BACKWARDS - NOW, The 30 amp fuze keeps blowing as soon as I turn the key, Before it even gets to start position - What the HE@# did I tear up THIS TIME!!!! It's a Craftsman DYT4000 - Model 917.2736403 - I really need to get it fixed quick, I use it to mow close to 3 acres of 30 degree banking, that My John Deere LA130 isnt capable of climbing, due to NOT ENOUGH POWER..... But thats another problem, for another day - I CAN HEAR THE GRASS GROWING ON THE HILLSIDE OUTSIDE - HELP!!!!!!!!!!
 
This manual has a wiring diagram for your unit. How handy are you around electricity? Do you have a VOM and know how to use it? Diagnosing electrical problems over the computer is not easy, but I'm willing to give it a try, but may not be able to reply as fast as you would like due to my work schedule.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/pd_download/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0409677.pdf

Yes I have a VOM, and know how to make it work - lol- but Im not ASE cert or anything like that
 
Ok, let's start at the switch. Disconnect the plug from the switch. Test each terminal to ground, G terminal. Tell me if any readings show continuity. Also check to see if any of the plug terminals are shorted to ground. Couple of things to remember about working with electrical problems, never assume anything, verify everything, patience is a virtue, if you don't remember checking something check it again.
 
Forgot to add, some auto parts stores loan or rent tools. See if they have a circuit breaker which you can insert in place of the fuse holder so you don't have to keep buying fuses until we solve the problem.
 
Ok lets get to the skinny - I SCREWED UP - Was in a hurry when I installed a new battery, Not paying attention and talking to my son - HOOKED THE DANG THING UP BACKWARDS - NOW, The 30 amp fuze keeps blowing as soon as I turn the key, Before it even gets to start position - What the HE@# did I tear up THIS TIME!!!! It's a Craftsman DYT4000 - Model 917.2736403 - I really need to get it fixed quick, I use it to mow close to 3 acres of 30 degree banking, that My John Deere LA130 isnt capable of climbing, due to NOT ENOUGH POWER..... But thats another problem, for another day - I CAN HEAR THE GRASS GROWING ON THE HILLSIDE OUTSIDE - HELP!!!!!!!!!!

additional info - The Wiring harness's all look brand new (118hr's on tractor - pressure washed after each use, Garage kept) NO MELTED, OR FRAYED WIRES, Not grounding out ANYWHERE - I FRIED SOMETHING, when hooked battery up bass-ackwards - Starter turns freely, bendix moves, {While using 2 jumper wire's, instead of fuze} with key in ON position, touching wire's together cause arc.... Have also tried disconnecting regulator, mounted on block beside starter, With same result - Blown 20/30amp fuzes.... It eats em, as fast as I can replace em - replace fuze, turn key on, POP goes the fuze....
 
Ok, let's start at the switch. Disconnect the plug from the switch. Test each terminal to ground, G terminal. Tell me if any readings show continuity. Also check to see if any of the plug terminals are shorted to ground. Couple of things to remember about working with electrical problems, never assume anything, verify everything, patience is a virtue, if you don't remember checking something check it again.

Switch checks good :( I wish it were that simple - Ive fried something, when I hooked 360 amp battery up bass-ackwards - It made a little (almost grinding) sound, as soon as I turned the key on, after replacing battery, and instantly dawned on me what I had done - - - - Oooops toooo late - - - sound lasted about 1.5 seconds and then the first fuze blew...... 7 more since lol
 
One thing I learned a long time ago when working with electricity, never assume anything, looks can be deceiving. You must verify everything.
 
One thing I learned a long time ago when working with electricity, never assume anything, looks can be deceiving. You must verify everything.

Understood - But Im not assuming switch is good - I've already tested it - Have readings where, and when should be - :( Sorry, I should have been more precise with my response. My Wife tells me all the time that people can't read my mind lol
 
Understood - But Im not assuming switch is good - I've already tested it - Have readings where, and when should be - :( Sorry, I should have been more precise with my response. My Wife tells me all the time that people can't read my mind lol

Oh and 1 more tid bit of info - that sound I spoke of, was coming from side of engine (around starter) thats why I disconnected the reg, to see if thats what I fried - No such luck :(
 
Back
Top