Blades too Tight

Seat of pants really should not be used for fastener torque. Spend the time to select correct torque and look at the fasteners that might have been overstretched. Over tightening and work hardened/necked fastener will break and ... yes, 1800 fps loose blades not good. :smile:
 
I can't argue with any of this, but you need to keep in mind that due to the direction of rotation, the bolts tend to tighten themselves anyway.

In about 55 years of mowing, I can never remember a blade coming loose. Either I am an excellent blade tightener (I've never been rated exellent at anything) or the blades have kept themselves tight.

Larry
 
I can't argue with any of this, but you need to keep in mind that due to the direction of rotation, the bolts tend to tighten themselves anyway.

In about 55 years of mowing, I can never remember a blade coming loose. Either I am an excellent blade tightener (I've never been rated exellent at anything) or the blades have kept themselves tight.

Larry

I got to agree with this. As for myself I use a torque wrench. I make sure the threads are clean and use light oil on them. If you are over torqueing the bolts you are making them weaker every time you are doing so. You can't properly torque a bolt with a impact wrench I don't care how good you think you are with one.
 
Back
Top