Blades still want to turn, not safe!

Threads
I have a 2005 X2503 60" Dixe Chopper. I purchased it used and have gone through the whole thing. When the motor is running and blades turned off it still turns the blades. They are not at full speed but they are fast enough to sling rocks, remove toes etc...

What I have done...
1) All pulleys are in good shape including the bearings.
2) Belt is the correct one by specs. Not new but still good (no cracks etc...)
3)Tranny belt is new.
4) Belt adjustment is done by pulling the motor back away from the deck. Tranny and deck belt are run off the same pully on bottom of motor. I tightnened belt enough for tranny to work, leaving blade belt extremely loose. It will crank and run with out any issues but when you start to move the mower, I guess the rocking of the deck gets the blades turning and then it just won't stop untill you turn the motor back off.

User manual is not helpful at all. Any one else have this issue or advice on what to try next? Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

rschopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
More than likely the belt guides at the engine pulley are out of adjustment. Start with the transmission belt, with the proper belt and tension the idler pulley should be right at or just over 1" away from the frame rail. then with the mower off, engage the blades and look to see if the compression spring at the triangle plate is compress to 1&3/4". Leaving the blades engaged and the engine off adjust the rear belt guides so that they are just OFF the edge of the belt leaning forward to the point they a not touching the pulley and about 1/4 to 3/8" of the 1/2" rod sticking above top edge of belt. this should make the belt swell around the engine pulley when disengaged and prevent the blades turning when the engine is running with the blades not engaged.

Threads
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: One quick question, tranny tensioner you are refering to is the (only ) one that is atached to the long bar that swings kind of like a pendalum with one spring at the top right? And if you were under the mower looking up with the motor at your head, the i" off the frame would be to the left right? Sorry for the dumb question, just making sure I am visulizing every thing correctly. Thanks again!

amberleewilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope your issue had been solved....But now I am facing the same issue.I checked out the spring's compression and it is not compressed to 1&3/4..So do you think this can be the main reason for my problem..Should I compress it to 1&3/4 and check out whether my issue has been solved or not..

Threads
Is your more or less than the 1 3/4? My problem got better but has never been completely solved. The way my deck free floats (sort of speek) if kicks the blades in a little when the deck swings to much one way or the other. I can slow down or stop and the blades shut right back off. I have all new belts and every thing is adjusted as directed and it still does this so I think every thing that holds the deck is has just a little wear to it and when you add it all up its just enough to let it swing more than it should which kind of tugs on the belt making the blades turn a little. Now that my mowing season is over I will be checking every thing out again.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's common for mowers to have blade brakes. Possibly yours is worn to the point of being non-effective.

Threads
I don't think mine has one at all. I will have to get the manual out and check that, if its supposed to have one that would explain a lot.

Amberleewilson, what kind of mower do you have?

deerediesel755

Forum Newbie
Threads
well on the threaded rod i put a nut and washer on the other side cause when you disengage the blade it doesnt return to all the way off. the nut and washer will push the idler to the all the way off position if you remove the deck plate you can see the threaded rod attached to the lever and idler pulleys

WISCOPROUD

Threads
this prob happens a lot w/ a new belt. Once it gets "worn in" it will stop doing this if you did all the proper adjustments. Nature of the dixie beast because no blade brake. :confused2: