Mower deck Blades stay engaged even when PTO is not.

Tstrode

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mtd 38" riding mower. Blades are engaged even when PTO handle is not. Just changed deck belt, blades, and PTO cable and now as soon as I start the mower blades are spinning. When I engage PTO handle the spin faster. Does the belt just need time to streach or is something amiss?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wrong or non OEM style belt, or belt installed incorrectly.

Tstrode

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1/2 " x 76" that a repair shop gave me. However factory belt was 1/2 x 77. Will the one inch solve the issue of I charge belts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That difference can make a big difference. What makes a bigger difference is the use of not OEM or OEM style belts because they have a special cut angle, and actual length this not reflected in the cross over tables. Meaning just because the book says it is a 1/2 x 77 doesn't mean the OEM belt is that exact length and width. MTD and JD use special width and cut angle belts that don't match standard off the shelf belts.

Tstrode

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I ordered a replacement V belt from MTD and hope that will solve the problem. Will update here once it arrives and is installed.

Tstrode

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info....replaced it with an V belt 1/2x77 from Bolens and it fixed the problem. Thanks again.