Blades Disengage

bigge31566

Threads
I have a Bunton BTZ 31 zero tun mower and after about an hour of mowing the blades disengage, Im thinking after mower heats up, any ideas what could be causing this

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Low battery voltage is a common cause for disengagement on those with electric clutches, so I'd start with a battery voltage test as soon as they disengage and then get into further testing if it checks out OK.

bigge31566

Threads
I also had another pto switch that I changed out and it still did the exact same thing, change it out in less than 5 minutes and it worked for about 30 minutes until it did the same thing, will check voltage the next time

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is adjustable, that may be all that is needed.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is adjustable, that may be all that is needed.
Very true, especially if the battery cranks the engine without hesitation. I'd forgotten about the air gap changing with temperature among other things that's slipped my mind.
thanks Fish

Last edited:

bigge31566

Threads
If what is adjustable, just thinking the motor isnt cutting out and cranks right back up so it may not be battery,

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If what is adjustable, just thinking the motor isnt cutting out and cranks right back up so it may not be battery,

electric clutch, if you have a knob to pull on the instrument panel to make the blades rotate. the clutch operates by way of an electromagnet and needs 12 volts and the correct air gap. you can possibly find air gap adjusting instructions on the web.