Blade Sharpening Interval

RhettWS

Threads
Figured we needed a rider after that bought a Cub Cadet 1050 that made life a lot easier till the Bride decided that mower was for the house.

That is one of the SWMBO things!!! :laughing: Got to keep the peace around the house for sure.

RhettWS

Threads
Blades after 25.2 hours.IMG_0976.jpg

Waited a little too long. Swapped out for a new set of gator blades. Gator blades did pretty good but the grass was supper long.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have some really soft grass.

577jersey

Threads
I sharpen mine once a week and usually right before my prime accounts....really as long as the grass is getting a clean cut and not ripped you can keep going,,look close at your grass and you will see either a clean cut at the top or a ripped cut,,the ripped cut causes the lawn to look yellowish brown after the sun beats on it for a day or two,plus the grass is more susceptible to disease..keep your blades sharp and keep an eye on your cut quality by looking at the blades of grass. ;)

RhettWS

Threads
I sharpen mine once a week and usually right before my prime accounts..

So how many hours do you have on the set of blades and the end of the week when you swap out for a sharp set? That is real crux of this thread. Thanks

577jersey

Threads
So how many hours do you have on the set of blades and the end of the week when you swap out for a sharp set? That is real crux of this thread. Thanks
All depends on the weather,on the raptor between 10-15 hours..they are still ok but all my machines get washed,oil checked,air filters cleaned,tire pressure checked,all pivot points oiled,every week...sometime more on my push mower if I do alot of dusty mulching.

You cant go by hours for blade maintenance..too many things come into play and vary from application to application and location,unless you are doing the same lawn every week in the same condition,in that case I would say every 10-15 hours lol :)

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
All depends on the weather,on the raptor between 10-15 hours..they are still ok but all my machines get washed,oil checked,air filters cleaned,tire pressure checked,all pivot points oiled,every week...sometime more on my push mower if I do alot of dusty mulching.

You cant go by hours for blade maintenance..too many things come into play and vary from application to application and location,unless you are doing the same lawn every week in the same condition,in that case I would say every 10-15 hours lol :)

Like I said up above some where. This time of the year in South Alabama we are doing good to get 4 to 5 hours out of a set before they need sharpening because of the Bahia Grass.

577jersey

Threads
Like I said up above some where. This time of the year in South Alabama we are doing good to get 4 to 5 hours out of a set before they need sharpening because of the Bahia Grass.
Yup,there are guys who cut very sandy land that only get that much out of there edge also...I bet a set of blades only lasts maybe a month down in the sand pile cutting commercially.
I can get a whole season out of a set here,,usually rotate between two sets..we got nice top soil and clay...alot of weed lawns but also alot of kentucky blue,zoysia,and fescue.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup,there are guys who cut very sandy land that only get that much out of there edge also...I bet a set of blades only lasts maybe a month down in the sand pile cutting commercially.
I can get a whole season out of a set here,,usually rotate between two sets..we got nice top soil and clay...alot of weed lawns but also alot of kentucky blue,zoysia,and fescue.

I run three Tiger Cat Scags. We change blades daily and some days we change them twice...... We normally get three or four sharpening per set of blades and then the ends of the blades are wearing so that they won't balance any more.

Right now I think we have 24 sets of blades. :)

577jersey

Threads
I run three Tiger Cat Scags. We change blades daily and some days we change them twice...... We normally get three or four sharpening per set of blades and then the ends of the blades are wearing so that they won't balance any more.

Right now I think we have 24 sets of blades. :)
Now thats what Im talking about....if I had 3 scag cheetahs here that ran 6 hours a day each Id get away with 6-9 sets of blades for the whole 8 month season.