Blade Sharpening Interval

RhettWS

Threads
Sharpen after 6 hours of use. Every day after I'm done. Sharpened set goes on and old set gets sharpened. I have 3 sets of blades. I am not that big of a company.

Despite your company size it is still good information. Hopefully other pros will reply. This knowledge will be useful to us weekend warriors. Thanks ....... Rhett

RhettWS

Threads
When we have to start slowing down to keep bahia grass from stringing we stop and change blades.

Technically speaking, what is stringing? I've seen this term a good bit. It would be really nice to see a picture if possible, although I know most of you avoid the phenomenon by changing blades often.

Thanks

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Technically speaking, what is stringing? I've seen this term a good bit. It would be really nice to see a picture if possible, although I know most of you avoid the phenomenon by changing blades often.

Thanks

The next time I run into it happening and it should be tomorrow I will do my best to remember to get my phone and try to get you some pictures.

RhettWS

Threads
The next time I run into it happening and it should be tomorrow I will do my best to remember to get my phone and try to get you some pictures.

That would be excellent. I went to Monroeville once about 35 years ago. Nice area. Helped a friend pick up a jeep that he bought. His brother, who worked at Alabama River Pulp, found it for him.

Stay cool!!!!:cool:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That would be excellent. I went to Monroeville once about 35 years ago. Nice area. Helped a friend pick up a jeep that he bought. His brother, who worked at Alabama River Pulp, found it for him.

Stay cool!!!!:cool:

Small world I worked at Al River Pulp from 1978 till 2000.

RhettWS

Threads
Would this be stringers??Stringer 1.jpg

This is not my yard thankfully. When I saw this the term "stringer" came to mind. BTW this is bahia grass.

Last edited:

RhettWS

Threads
The one I have on now has over a hundred hours on it total. My rider has a set on now that needs sharpened in about 15 hours. That will make about 65 hours total on them with no sharpening at all. The last set I had for the rider lasted about 70 hours with one sharpening. T

Just to make sure I understand, you have a set on your push mower that have not been sharpened in over a 100 hours??:shocked:

To further clarify, you sharpen your rider blades at about 70 hours???

What type of grass are you cutting?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can rip the top of grass off with anything. My weedeater string is .095 in thickness. Close to a very dull blade. You can tell the difference in where you use a weedeater as compared to a blade. But it still cuts the grass.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would this be stringers??View attachment 29269

This is not my yard thankfully. When I saw this the term "stringer" came to mind. BTW this is bahia grass.
Hard for me to tell from the picture but basically it will be strings of grass that are one to several inches long that look frayed. I am sorry I have not had time to think about pictures. We have been stretched out and this heat has been devastating this week.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to make sure I understand, you have a set on your push mower that have not been sharpened in over a 100 hours??:shocked:

To further clarify, you sharpen your rider blades at about 70 hours???

What type of grass are you cutting?

I have no clue about that one. Cutting the stuff we cut I actually started this AM out at 6:00 with fresh blades and changed about 10:00. I have no clue how anybody can go that long. Course we were cutting grass that had not been cut in 2 weeks. We were cutting a 15 acre property. One of the other two mowers had been run some yesterday afternoon after the blades were changed on it and we ran it a while this AM before we change it. The other one we did not change but it had not run as much as the other two. It had fresh blades this AM at 6:00 also.