blade engagement wire and handle

electro813

Forum Newbie
Threads
when i try to engage the blade the lil black piece on end of the engagement cable snaps off the lever knob and has deformed the plastic piece now thats attached to the cable so i got a new one coming in the mail even though this is a brand new one giving me trouble i also took the deck off and reallly libricated any brakes or any movable parts the one pulley that the engagement is attached to moves easiy forward and back , i try pulling wire with needle nose pliers and i just cant pull it, so i thought of putting the lever housing upside down for giggles and now it works when i put the lever down instead of up but doesnt work completely. so i took pliers than and yanked on it and it worked fine the blades spun, any idea why the engagement cable wont let me extend it when housing is put on correctly thanks alot for any help

hrdman2luv

Threads
when i try to engage the blade the lil black piece on end of the engagement cable snaps off the lever knob and has deformed the plastic piece now thats attached to the cable so i got a new one coming in the mail even though this is a brand new one giving me trouble i also took the deck off and reallly libricated any brakes or any movable parts the one pulley that the engagement is attached to moves easiy forward and back , i try pulling wire with needle nose pliers and i just cant pull it, so i thought of putting the lever housing upside down for giggles and now it works when i put the lever down instead of up but doesnt work completely. so i took pliers than and yanked on it and it worked fine the blades spun, any idea why the engagement cable wont let me extend it when housing is put on correctly thanks alot for any help

More than likely, you have some fraid wires inside the tube where the cable goes through. You can't see them. But more than likely, that what's going on. A new cable should fix your problem..

BTW, anyone know of a good lubricant to use on this? I've been just using regular motor oil. But that seems to get gummy when it gets dirty.. Maybe WD 40?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More than likely, you have some fraid wires inside the tube where the cable goes through. You can't see them. But more than likely, that what's going on. A new cable should fix your problem..

BTW, anyone know of a good lubricant to use on this? I've been just using regular motor oil. But that seems to get gummy when it gets dirty.. Maybe WD 40?

A good lube for cables is Fluid Film.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

WD 40 is about the worst thing you can put on control cables as it attacks the nylon liner ( where fitted ) and dries off leaving a clean surface all primmed up for more rusting, so you put more WD 40 on it beause "it worked so well last time ". That is how they suck you in.
Of similar products, the only one I know that actually dries off and leaves a lubricating film behind in Innox.

Best bowden cable lubricants come from push bike shops.
I rather like Tri-Flow dry. It is very expensive but well worth the cost . I also play with vintage motorcycles and have sold the entire club on these types of products because they work so well.
You cable will need about 4 -6 drops thats all so th 2 oz retail bottle will last a very long time.
I buy it in 1 pint bottles $ 125.00 and go through a bottle every 5 years or so.
then again I repair mowers and motorcycles so I us a lot