Blade-clutch Lawn-Boy R7271 with out-of-ramge Serial Number

FuzzyDriver

Threads
  • / Blade-clutch Lawn-Boy R7271 with out-of-ramge Serial Number
I bought a new (never been started) R7271 last year (no - I'm not kidding, it's never had gas in the tank even). The serial number is B264C0056. This type of serial number does not appear in the service manual. The C is really a C, not a zero. The B should be for a 1983, but from what I can tell there wasn't a R7271 until 1984. Anybody have any idea what this thing really is? Anybody have any idea what a NOS mower like this is worth?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post a pic of the ID tag.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Here you go, Rivets:

ID Plate.jpg

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pretty decent mower, pretty unique too. Don't know about a dollar figure but not cheap.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Pretty decent mower, pretty unique too. Don't know about a dollar figure but not cheap.

I've watched that video several times already. Thanks! Is that you in the video?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
No,not me. Just a big fan of the old Lawn Boy mowers, especially the basic non-propelled models. Got a kick out the guy hitting it with the power washer too.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Me, too. I have several Lawn-Boy mowers, one other one is just shy of new. There is a thread on it here I bought it off the showroom floor a few years ago. My daily driver is a S21ZPM ('92) and I kick myself for ever starting that other new one (a S21ZSN).

So do you have any idea what that serial number means on my R7271?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct that model was not released for sales until 1984. I suspect you have a 1983 prototype which was not supposed to leave the factory.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Oh, my. Now I need to go back down to the dealer and try to prod him for more information. He is going out of business (that's how I came to find it in his shop), but maybe he's still hanging around there. If it's a genuine not-for-retail prototype and never been started, does that make it worth a bunch? Any idea how much? I don't really collect them myself, I just couldn't pass it up when I saw it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, can’t really help you more, as I’m a tech and even though I’m old I’m not an historian.