Blade Bolt problem

Gees, I wish I could get you to talk some sense into some of my customers. They ask me about sharpening when the cutting edge is about 1/2 the blade thickness then complain when I tell them they need a new blade. After fitting I get "runs like new & cuts so much better" but when i suggest regular blade changes I might as well be speaking in Swahili.

It is a proven fact that even duct tape won't fix stupid.
 
. Spindle bearings will be going sooner than later using impact wrench.

I just don't see your reasoning for this statement? over torqued? pounding on the bearing balls? must be a reason for saying it. I find the main spindle bearing failure is lack of lubrication.
 
I believe I first heard of the use of an electric impact wrench and anti-sieze on Zero turn mower blades on this sight but cannot be certain. Instead of speaking out of turn I decided to try it instead. The notion that an electric impact wrench incapable of applying the 75# dry torque would tighten them up mucho plenty if a little anti-sieze were applied made sense even though I have no way to measure it. And that they would still remove easily with the same electric impact wrench later.

Well, I have to sharpen my blades every 3rd mowing due to the sandy conditions here. Approximately every 18 hours of use and it has been much nicer since trying this. My far right nut (over the discharge) used to get so tight I needed a 3ft cheater on a 2ft breaker bar to get it loose. Now if yall could just come up with a way to have the underside of the deck get and stay clean. Tired of scraping and I have no vision of it ever being as clean as the day it was delivered. Should've waxed it then.
 
Junior, you've had some good replies and I'm going to add to the pile.

My son and I cut commercial for about 5 years. The last 3 years, we had a couple of Scags, a 52 inch V Ride and a Turf Tiger. My observations on blade bolts are:

1) You can torque them to whatever foot lbs. you want. When you hit that first patch of high grass, they are going to auto torque to 100 foot lbs. plus.
2) Some people like anti-seize compound, some hate it. I had several stuck bolts before I started using it. Since then, only one.
3) I like the idea of a slotted piece of wood to hold the blade in place if you need a breaker bar. I've never had a bolt that a half inch bar with a 3 foot pipe wouldn't loosen, but the 3/4 inch ratchet with longer bar sounds good also.
 
Back
Top