blade bolt metric or standard U.S.?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
16mm and 5/8" are pretty much the same.
Put up a pic of the top of the bolt. It should have some markings on it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanks!
Troy-Bilt identifies the hex bolt as 3/8-24, so I "assumed" (always a mistake!) the diameter is 3/8" with 24 threads to the inch. The head of the bolt is a pretty good fit with a 5/8" socket. A 15mm socket is too small and a 17mm is too big, so I'm guessing it's likely a 16mm socket that's needed (which I don't own presently).
5/8" and 16MM are the same size. They are interchangeable.

Nosmada

Forum Newbie
Threads
/I think you are overthinking it. Most US push mowers use either a 9/16 or 5/8 hex wrench. And if the 5/8 fits then use it. About the only place I find metric blade bolts and nuts is on Kubota and JD.
Thanks. I do know from experience that every Craftsman mower I've used in the past 10 years has a blade bold that takes a 14mm socket.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks. I do know from experience that every Craftsman mower I've used in the past 10 years has a blade bold that takes a 14mm socket.
I have never used a 14 mm on a blade bolt in my 23 years of experience. I take that back had a few customers with JD that used 14 mm for the side bolts for the 3 bolt mounts. Never used 14 on craftsman and still don't even on the new ones manufactured this year.