bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use one for checking swing back blades
They are supposed to be balanced to within 5 g of each other

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I don't see how a digital scale is going to balance a blade unless it a hand balance style and I don't they make one. It wont easy to use blade balancing either.
It's pretty easy really. Solid object on one end (same height as scale) and the scale on the other. Level the blade out with a simple shop level. Take a weight reading on one end. Lather, rinse and repeat for the other end.

Nails and those junk cone jobs are not even close to the scale method. Some blades don't even have a round hole in the center as you know. And my cheap azz isn't paying $250 for the good ceramic bearing balancer tool LOL.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nails and those junk cone jobs are not even close to the scale method. Some blades don't even have a round hole in the center as you know. And my cheap azz isn't paying $250 for the good ceramic bearing balancer tool LOL.

slomo
Hmmm the Magna-Matic MAG-100 is only $170 or you could get the Maxpower 339075B for $90 or the Oregon 42-047 for $103.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My scale accurate to 1 gram or 0.05 ounce costs like 13 bucks.

Capture.PNG

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well went out this morning and did some testing with 20.5" blade on my cone balancer since I had a some spare time. It is just as accurate as the scale n post #15 if not better as I weighed the nuts is took to get any defectiion. One got the blade move off level but took two of the nuts to get my digital scale to register the 1.5 grams of both nuts so I seen this movement at 10" with .75 grams. Not bad for a $2 tool. Also found the blade was only 7 grams out balance @ 10" which is a lot considering the amount the tip was showing out balance by.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
nly 7 gra
my cone balancer since I had a some spare time. It is just as accurate as the scale n post #15
Riiiiiight. Maybe your cone tool is better than mine. Mine was plastic and had a lot of stiction in it. Never fit the blade hole exactly. Threw it in the garbage.

7 grams at 10+ inches is fairly large. Every gram counts as we know.

I get a 0 balance on each end for perfect no vibe mowing.

Thanks for checking the scale method out StarTech.

slomo