Blade-balance oddity

bullet bob

Threads
I bought a used Toro 21" self-propelled for my daughter. Among other things, I pulled the blade, sharpened it but when I went to balance it using my https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...8vIgSSCKYG-FFbB7tjnKVGrVH0G7DFqxoC47kQAvD_BwE
When the blade was completely horizontal, it showed a perfect balance. But when I moved the blade to almost vertical, it immediately went back to horizontal. Does this make any sense?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Besides one side of each end is heavier the other side on the same end. A good balancer can easily see the difference. The balancer I use is very sensitive to this mismatch weight. I am even finding new blades out of balance.

Last edited:

bullet bob

Threads
I thought if something was balanced east to west, it would also be balanced north to south.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well it seems it would but the laws of gravity works differently. It would someone that studies this to explain why but I think it something to do how things attract and repel other each other.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
So how do you guys bring a blade in to balance if it's out of balance?

Do you take a grinder and remove material off of the blade on the heavy side and keep testing until it's balanced?

I know ya'll can't be adding weight as you'd have to get a welder for that

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A 16d nail in a stud or tree works well.