Bigdog mowers

Threads
Hi, today i found out about another mower brand that i have never heard of before, "Bigdog" made by Excel industries in Hesston, Kansas.
A company here in New Zealand has started importing them & Bearcat products, a company rep called in today to see if we would become the local area agent for these products, i have worked on Bearcat products before but have never heard of the Bigdog zero turn mowers, have any of you got one or had any issues with them?
any input would be a great help, we could possibly sell a few as it is coming up to our spring/summer growing season.
thanks for your input
Regards
Bryan

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, today i found out about another mower brand that i have never heard of before, "Bigdog" made by Excel industries in Hesston, Kansas.
A company here in New Zealand has started importing them & Bearcat products, a company rep called in today to see if we would become the local area agent for these products, i have worked on Bearcat products before but have never heard of the Bigdog zero turn mowers, have any of you got one or had any issues with them?
any input would be a great help, we could possibly sell a few as it is coming up to our spring/summer growing season.
thanks for your input
Regards
Bryan

I see more and more landscape company's using bigdog everyday they must be doing something right

edd

Threads
i use a big dog r 754 series.....340 hrs and it has held up fine......i would buy another one if i needed a new mower

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
i use a big dog r 754 series.....340 hrs and it has held up fine......i would buy another one if i needed a new mower

Another user on the forums initially bought the Big Dog ZTR that has the "steering wheel" and had mixed feelings about it. He returned it and bought a Husqvarna MZ ZT 52, but it was mostly because the dealer jerked him around about what the "verbal agreement" on the Big Dog purchase price was than it was the ZTR performance. Maybe he'll chime in & comment. And I recall another user that bought the R754 and loved it. Hey, it's made by the same company as the Hustler ZTR and is "similar" quality for the money you spend.

possum

Threads
I see quite a few Hustler mowers around from small to big but not the Big Dog mowers.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks for your input
Regards
Bryan

Hey...BTW, do you own one of those Husqvarna articulating riders like in your avatar???? If so, tell us what you think about it performance/price wise??? I think those are "very unique" mowers and have only read a few posts by owners(but only heard good things...particularly about their "professional looking" cut).

Threads
No, unfortunatly i do not own one of these machines, but you are quite correct in saying that they are "very unique", the mower shop i work for is a Husqvarna agent & we have sold a few over the years, (the last one was a PR17AWD last year which was NZ$17000) a lot of money, the owner loves it & i like working on it, well designed, fun to drive, these machines are one of the best for a quality cut:smile:

RatRacer

Threads
Another user on the forums initially bought the Big Dog ZTR that has the "steering wheel" and had mixed feelings about it. He returned it and bought a Husqvarna MZ ZT 52, but it was mostly because the dealer jerked him around about what the "verbal agreement" on the Big Dog purchase price was than it was the ZTR performance. Maybe he'll chime in & comment. And I recall another user that bought the R754 and loved it. Hey, it's made by the same company as the Hustler ZTR and is "similar" quality for the money you spend.

Yep, that was me. The other was Old Goat.

My dealer was a Hustler and Big Dog dealer, so I could compare the similar models on the spot. Big Dog are made in the same plant as Hustler, and are designed the same. The differences I saw were lighter gauge metals used in non-crossing model parts, and lesser engine and tranny's to keep their price down for a residential appeal.
I had the R754PB power bar, which was neat and unique on the outset, but I grew to dislike its use. I would buy a Big Dog again, if my local dealer wasn't such a feminine hygiene product.

P4270007-11.jpg

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

My dealer was a Hustler and Big Dog dealer, so I could compare the similar models on the spot. Big Dog are made in the same plant as Hustler, and are designed the same. The differences I saw were lighter gauge metals used in non-crossing model parts, and lesser engine and tranny's to keep their price down for a residential appeal.
I had the R754PB power bar, which was neat and unique on the outset, but I grew to dislike its use. I would buy a Big Dog again, if my local dealer wasn't such a feminine hygiene product.

P4270007-11.jpg

That's right(shows my aging memory) your Big Dog had the "Power Bar" not steering wheel(like some of the Cub ZTR's). But i did remember the dealer jerking you around on the final agreed upon price(after the sale:0(
I wonder where Old Goat is keeping himself....haven't seen many posts by him lately. Nice guy...and loves his Big Dog!!! He also has a "sweet" classic GTO(where he got his user name most likely).

Brucebotti

Threads

P4270007-11.jpg

RatRacer,
That's a pretty interesting unit. How do you steer it? I assume by twisting the hand grips?
Bruce