BIG DOG: steering damper question

amowingfool

Threads
Good day all.
I was pondering the cost of a steering damper $97 then wondered if there would be any reason those could not be replace with bicycle shocks which are about $12 each?
(obviously need investigate the length etc but they are very close and mounting is same-ish)

My Big Dog is an old dog so I don't want to throw a lot of money at it even though it is a great machine ( just replaced engine from a donor Hustler so power is new)

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good day all.
I was pondering the cost of a steering damper $97 then wondered if there would be any reason those could not be replace with bicycle shocks which are about $12 each?
(obviously need investigate the length etc but they are very close and mounting is same-ish)

My Big Dog is an old dog so I don't want to throw a lot of money at it even though it is a great machine ( just replaced engine from a donor Hustler so power is new)
Model number and serial number of the mower would be helpful.

amowingfool

Threads
Model number and serial number of the mower would be helpful.
Model: 930693 48"
SN: 11043148

Didn't post this because what I was considering would not necessarily be that relevant to a model since it is DIY modification

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most steering dampers are made by Stabilus. You may be able to cross the part numbers.
I certainly wouldn’t substitute a bicycle shock.