Big Dog Alpha MP rear tires towing out

tbriglia

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Big Dog Alpha art and looks like the rear tires are towing in at the top of the tire and out at the bottom. What would cause this? Service data is very limited for the home owner. Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually it is called camber (the slight sideways inclination of the wheels of a vehicle) . It can be caused by several things depending the mower age. One is just the transaxles are tilted therefore need to shimmed to adjust the camber. Note some mower transaxle setups can not be adjusted due mounting style other trying to bend the mounting points, even then it may not be possible. Another possibility is worn axle bearings.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some Zturns have a coupler between the two hydros. Broken, loose or missing will cause this problem.

Ant b

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Big Dog Alpha art and looks like the rear tires are towing in at the top of the tire and out at the bottom. What would cause this? Service data is very limited for the home owner. Thanks
I noticed my BD Alpha MP (2017) had the same issue after my drive belt broke (180 hrs). It was only on left side. Went to my local BD dealer to get the belt. They told me it was a MF defect on the "hangers" and was covered! Due to it being over 3 years old, I had to pay 1.5 hrs labor. They replaced all the "hangers" (said it was a kit) and also replaced the "ribbed" drive belt saying it was a defect and didn't have to pay for that either! Guess I got lucky with an honest BD dealer. Hope this helps

Threads
My Alpha MP has 112.4 hours on it. I thought I was buying a premium residential mower until the bolts loosen and the transmission fell out of the machine! Of the 3 main bolts holding each transmission in place, all were either loose and a nut missing on both sides. No loctite, not a lock washer? This caused the camber issue with the right back wheel. I tightened ALL 6 bolts on on the 2 transmissions and the problem has been solved. Very disappointed with Excel & Big Dog, poor quality and engineering! Will never buy nor recommend another Excel product! I sent an email to Big Dog and they reply was to bring the machine in for "Parts" only warranty, no apologies or any Customer Care call. I guess they have too many customers and really don't care about my issues!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you didn't install lock washers or flanged lock nuts the problem wil re occur. I seen several Hustler Raptor mowers here with missing bolts because they use only plain nuts and no lock washers. The nylon lock nuts installed seems to be working for the customers here. I prefer the nylon lock flange nuts myself.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What Ant b said they make a kit to replace all the hanger brackets that are much heavier than the original. Just did one last week. Take it back to the dealer. Make sure he checks the battery box as well as it can break as well and the hydro fans. It will be covered under warranty. May have to pay labor depending on date of purchase.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Alpha MP has 112.4 hours on it. I thought I was buying a premium residential mower until the bolts loosen and the transmission fell out of the machine! Of the 3 main bolts holding each transmission in place, all were either loose and a nut missing on both sides. No loctite, not a lock washer? This caused the camber issue with the right back wheel. I tightened ALL 6 bolts on on the 2 transmissions and the problem has been solved. Very disappointed with Excel & Big Dog, poor quality and engineering! Will never buy nor recommend another Excel product! I sent an email to Big Dog and they reply was to bring the machine in for "Parts" only warranty, no apologies or any Customer Care call. I guess they have too many customers and really don't care about my issue

Take it in get it fixed it is a good quality mower. They do care could have said it is out of warranty and not done anything. They did extended the warranty to cover the cost of the parts.

JOHN75

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Alpha MP has 112.4 hours on it. I thought I was buying a premium residential mower until the bolts loosen and the transmission fell out of the machine! Of the 3 main bolts holding each transmission in place, all were either loose and a nut missing on both sides. No loctite, not a lock washer? This caused the camber issue with the right back wheel. I tightened ALL 6 bolts on on the 2 transmissions and the problem has been solved. Very disappointed with Excel & Big Dog, poor quality and engineering! Will never buy nor recommend another Excel product! I sent an email to Big Dog and they reply was to bring the machine in for "Parts" only warranty, no apologies or any Customer Care call. I guess they have too many customers and really don't care about my issues!
One of my customers brought a big dog zero turn and I forget what model it was but that thing didn't have not one grease fitting on that whole machine and whoever sold it to him told them it was a commercial series. So Needless to say I'm not too fond of big dog machines very poorly made