Export thread

BG-86 BG86 Carb Adjustment Tool - Stihl# 59108902314

S

SamD

Anyone know where to find one of these asinine octagonal adjusters for a reasonable amount of money?

Had I known this blower had these adjusting screws, I might not have purchased it as I always work on my own equipment.

OR, can anyone recommend an aftermarket carb to replace the brand new one on this unit, one that I can adjust to make the blower run correctly?

Thank you!

R

Rivets

Government says you must the an authorized dealer to have one. You’ll find all the different manufacturers have their own style, no one I know uses a simple slot. Have about a dozen different styles in my tool box. I’ve known shops who have been fined for selling them. You’re going to have to find them on the aftermarket. Be careful as they come in different shapes and sizes.

S

SamD

Government says you must the an authorized dealer to have one. You’ll find all the different manufacturers have their own style, no one I know uses a simple slot. Have about a dozen different styles in my tool box. I’ve known shops who have been fined for selling them. You’re going to have to find them on the aftermarket.
I think you missed my question, which was "where can I find one of these for a reasonable amount of money?" I couldn't give a lick that some bureaucrat in Washington thinks I need to be a dealer to have one...

R

Rivets

As I said, “You’re going to have to find them on the aftermarket. Be careful as they come in different shapes and sizes.”. Amazon, EBay, google searches using that number.

sgkent

sgkent

I typed "stihl octagonal carb tool" in GOOGLE and got about 100 hits on kits including make your own. Then I typed 59108902314 into the same search engine and saw some for sale as low as $10 each.

S

SamD

As I said, “You’re going to have to find them on the aftermarket. Be careful as they come in different shapes and sizes.”. Amazon, EBay, google searches using that number.
Per the title of my post,

"BG-86 BG86 Carb Adjustment Tool - Stihl# 59108902314",​

I'm looking for the Stihl tool, not Aftermarket. Aftermarket and Genuine are not the same thing. Genuine Stihl tools, wrapped in Stihl packaging, bearing the Stihl trademark, etc are available in many places.

I'm looking for one for a reasonable price. That is the essence of my question. Does someone here know where I can find Stihl# 59108902314 for a reasonable price?

S

SamD

I typed "stihl octagonal carb tool" in GOOGLE and got about 100 hits on kits including make your own. Then I typed 59108902314 into the same search engine and saw some for sale as low as $10 each.
Did you happen to find Genuine Stihl? I've been searching with Yahoo for a few hours. I'll try Google. Thank you.

S

SamD

I found that one too, but the website seems to be malfunctioning. I'll call them tomorrow. Thank you!

R

Rivets

Didn’t think I had to do the searching also???

StarTech

StarTech

Just note Stihl dealers are not allow to sell and ship via websites. All part purchases as far as I know must be done thru a local dealer and pickup locally. I had the above octagon tool on order via my local dealer since the 1st of March, even he haven't received his tool either as he order two of them.

sgkent

sgkent

weingartz lists them. Online - 0, Ann Arbor - 1, Clarkston - 3, Farmington Hills - 2,

B

bertsmobile1

I'm looking for the Stihl tool, not Aftermarket. Aftermarket and Genuine are not the same thing. Genuine Stihl tools, wrapped in Stihl packaging, bearing the Stihl trademark, etc are available in many places.

I'm looking for one for a reasonable price. That is the essence of my question. Does someone here know where I can find Stihl# 59108902314 for a reasonable price?
I don't know how many times you have to be told or if you have troubles understanding what you have been told so I will say it as simple as I can
Stihl USA can not sell the adjustment tools to any one else other than authorised dealers who have properly trained & certified technicians who are fully conversant with current EPA legislation & have all of the proper equipment in their workshops.
Stihl dealers can not sell them to any one and there are massive fines for doing this .

The situation is the same in Australia
I get parts from the Walbro agent down here.
They can not even buy genuine Walbro adjustment tools from Walbro
They can only go to authorised workshops supplied through the equipment suppliers distribution network

So the simple answer is YOU AS A HOME OWNER CAN NOT BUY GENUINE CARBURETTOR ADJUSTMENT TOOLS FOR ANY BRAND OF TOOL OR CARBURETTOR

And as you seem to want to shout at us I am shouting back at you .

The stupidity of it is I can buy aftermarket kits from ebay & amazon & Made in China & Alibaba but I can not buy them from a dealer who could supply me with the correct tune up details at the same time .
And yes it is a idiot law made so some sleasebag politican can poke his chest out and swear on a stack of bibles that they are working to reduce pollution.
The factories endorsed this new law because it reduces the number of people able to repair tools & ultimately sales of new tools or carbs .

So there is no secret society that you are being excluded from it is just a dumb law

Thus the long and short of it is Aftermarket or nothing

S

SamD

Didn’t think I had to do the searching also???
I simply asked if anyone "knew" where they could be found for a reasonable price. I didn't ask anyone to search any more than I asked which dealer might sell me one, forcing me to look at "aftermarket" tools.

Thank you all for your input. I'll take it from here and order one of the Genuine items (NOT aftermarket) that I see from at least half a dozen sellers regardless of price - I need the tool...

sgkent

sgkent

Bert - well - the guy on ebay sells them regardless what the rule is. And frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. Too many cooks in the kitchen these days. The guy in the SC mall shooting wasn't supposed to have gun either, same in the Sacramento shooting. This thread seems to be turning into Alice's Restaurant. "Local mower owner arrested and charged for illegal possession of an orange handled screwdriver that fits a listed mixture needle. Bail set at $10,000,000 USD, more on the 5pm news. Meanwhile shooter of six allowed free because it he felt unloved, and it was only his second attempted murder. More at 5pm. Local Weather, sports and more."

S

SamD

Bert - well - the guy on ebay sells them regardless what the rule is. And frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. Too many cooks in the kitchen these days. The guy in the SC mall shooting wasn't supposed to have gun either, same in the Sacramento shooting. This thread seems to be turning into Alice's Restaurant. "Local mower owner arrested and charged for illegal possession of an orange handled screwdriver that fits a listed mixture needle. Bail set at $10,000,000 USD, more on the 5pm news. Meanwhile shooter of six allowed free because it he felt unloved, and it was only his second attempted murder. More at 5pm. Local Weather, sports and more."
You and I think very much alike good sir. Thank you again for your help! Stay locked and loaded too... :)

sgkent

sgkent

I spent 15 years working for an EPA related agency. When they passed a law that said we were limited to drip watering our small garden only one day a week because of drought, even when it was 110F outside, I asked the agency secretary at lunch one day (top person under Governor) what should I do to LEGALLY save the food in the garden. The answer was water the garden when you need to, no one will look over your fence. I see the orange handled screw driver as similar. Do like the Scots did after Culloden when the English outlawed the Scots from having broad swords, hide it when you don't need it. LOL :)

B

bertsmobile1

FWIW
You can buy the genuine tool direct fromChina where they are made
Down side is minimum order is 200.
I seriously doubt there would be any more than 1 factory making them, perhaps 2 at the most
Genuine ones get orange handles and the others are either black , blue or green , mostly black.
The fact that some are willing to flout the law to make a tiny amount of profit, they last time I looked they were 45¢ a piece + freight .
Big risk for a tiny amount of money unless he has a political agenda & wants to be fined so he can challenge the case in court .
It is a stupid piece of law .
Good luck & enjoy using it
I find the whole thing a big PIA as every year or so I have to get yet another "tamper proof " tool .
The current kit has 14 different tools most of which I have only ever used once .
One of the good things about fitting aftermarket carbs is usually you can find one that will work that has jets with a simple slot in them
My suppliers can not sell them either but it is legal to sell them direct from the factory or via Ebay / Amazon but not as a direct on line sale from a retailer .

S

SamD

FWIW
You can buy the genuine tool direct fromChina where they are made
Down side is minimum order is 200.
I seriously doubt there would be any more than 1 factory making them, perhaps 2 at the most
Genuine ones get orange handles and the others are either black , blue or green , mostly black.
The fact that some are willing to flout the law to make a tiny amount of profit, they last time I looked they were 45¢ a piece + freight .
Big risk for a tiny amount of money unless he has a political agenda & wants to be fined so he can challenge the case in court .
It is a stupid piece of law .
Good luck & enjoy using it
I find the whole thing a big PIA as every year or so I have to get yet another "tamper proof " tool .
The current kit has 14 different tools most of which I have only ever used once .
One of the good things about fitting aftermarket carbs is usually you can find one that will work that has jets with a simple slot in them
My suppliers can not sell them either but it is legal to sell them direct from the factory or via Ebay / Amazon but not as a direct on line sale from a retailer .
If you can show me a tool with the octagonal head that will fit this BG86 blower carb for a reasonable amount of money, I'm all ears (or eyes).
I haven't seen ANY other tool out there for sale that will work on this 8-sided (octagonal) mixture screw except those that are branded "Stihl"...

R

Rivets

And I told you in post #2, it is illegal for a dealer to sell you the “Stihl” tool you want. What part of that didn’t you understand?

sgkent

sgkent

all of the EPA and CARB regulations that I have seen, and I have seen a lot, make it illegal to change an engine to put out more emissions than when it came from the factory. The laws typically do not limit who can touch it but rather the end result. That is also true on cars back to 1967. To CARB for example, you can put on the wrong part, still sniff properly within spec and still be in violation for tampering. How many lawn mower technicians can certify that all the emission equipment on their pre-OBDC cars is 100% intact, and still original to EPA and CARB specs? I can.

StarTech

StarTech

All I know is the engines do need to be properly tuned when repairs are made. Yes individuals are not allowed the tools as they have very little knowledge of how to properly tune as engine.

Does that means everyone not are not an OEM dealer should be barred? No it doesn't as many dealers are hiring flunkies for repair techs. I am lucky that my Stihl dealer will sale me the tools that I ask for as he knows that I do these repairs professionally and just need the tool in order to it correctly.

Until there is enough demand for the Octagon tool we are stuck with the Stihl tool. It only been in use a few years now. Beside most of the after market tools are sloppy fit wise that I have tried.

And yes I don't sell these tools here either but it more of I need the repair business to make a living than anything else.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You bring back such bad memories. Years ago the county i live in flunked the air quality test and became an E-check for emissions county. What an absolute cluster F***! The government farmed out the testing and they built 4 testing stations and they were closed more than they were open. The folks driving the beaters found it easier to steal plates off cars than comply with EPA regulations. It was a disaster for years.

StarTech

StarTech

Think you are a lucky that you don't live in Japan where a simple oil leak can take more than a year to get fix as the vehicles has to certified leak free.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

When i was stationed in west berlin in 76-78 american service persons private vehicles didn't have to comply with the strict gernan vehicle laws. Pissed the Germans off to no end when some 20 year old kid is driving around in a V8 muscle car with glass packs, shackles and fat rear tires and they have to get permission to change tire size or even the rims. Wasn't me.

sgkent

sgkent

I have yet to see a post with specific reference to "the" EPA or CARB EO that makes it illegal to sell a tool used to adjust a carb. I believe in my heart that is a manufacturer's and businesses' personal preference on how to protect themselves legally from someone tweaking the engine and then saying it came that way. The only law / EO I could find is that the manufacturer must guarantee for a minimum of 2 years that the engine meets EPA / CARB standards. The laws do specify that adjusting an engine to not meet the standards is tampering, and that tampering does have consequences.

R

Rivets

Here is a letter from the folks at Husqvarna sent to their dealers back in 2015. I kept a copy to show my students when a dealer I knew received an in person visit from an EPA investigator. He ended up with a verbal and written warning, as the regulation was less than 2 years old and they wanted to let people know they were out looking. He contacted Husqvarna and this was their reply.

To All Servicing Dealers,

It has come to our attention that certain proprietary carburetor adjustment tools are
becoming more readily available on the open market. These tools are necessary for the
proper adjustment of carburetors to ensure compliance with U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency emission regulations when service work is being performed.
US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40: Protection of Environment
§1068.101(b) states:
(2) Defeat devices. You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or
install, any part that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of
emissions of any regulated pollutant … (EPA) may assess a civil penalty up to
$3,750 for each part in violation.
By selling the carburetor adjustment tools to consumers or making it available on the
internet, you may be viewed as selling a “Defeat device” and be subject to the above
penalties.
Please assist us to ensure these tools are only being used by your qualified staff and are
not made available for retail sale to the general public.
The part number for this tool is: 530 03 55-60 and is shown below.
Thank you for your support ensuring we are all operating in accordance with U.S
Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations.

Anthony Marchese

Vice President Part Sales and Service

StarTech

StarTech

All I know is when I repair an engine then install the limiters and tamper resistance plugs, if comes back in with them removed both the new equipment and repair warranties are voided. And I do charge for any necessary repairs again. I just don't need someone monkeying with my repairs if under warranty.

Yes most these tools are hard to get which is why I don't loan them out; unless, I got a spare one on hand. I do charge double for them upfront and will refund it when the tool is return. THe last one I loaned took 6 months to get back. The customer was complaining about why I hadn't refunded his money. I said when the tool comes back he get refunded.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

All I know is when I repair an engine then install the limiters and tamper resistance plugs,
You can get the 4203 121 2700 limiter caps? Must be nice. Dealer wants $15 apiece and doesn't really want ti sell them to me.

StarTech

StarTech

You can get the 4203 121 2700 limiter caps? Must be nice. Dealer wants $15 apiece and doesn't really want ti sell them to me.
I think those are the Walbro 25-200 limiter caps which are about $0.35.

sgkent

sgkent

I don't recall anyone ever suggesting messing with or tweaking a mower or engine that is still under warranty. Where did that come from?

On the tool subject, if the tool is off limits so should be any engine parts that can affect emissions. In fact if one goes down that rabbit hole, it should be illegal for anyone to work on a mower in a way that can affect emissions when the engine falls under EPA or CARB standards unless they have a license from them showing competence and the proper sniffing tools. Maybe a biannual smog test too on all this equipment and an OBDC-2 type system. That seems the logical conclusion of going down the gotta be licensed to own an orange handled screwdriver rule.

StarTech

StarTech

Sgkent, I was just noting what some of my customers have try to do to me by cutting off limiter caps. Those did usually got either billed for me re-tuning or turn away from future repairs. Some have cooked their engine by tuning to peak speeds or tuned them too lean when they are not designed for that kind of tuning.

Many a DIYer have just brought carbs and slap them on without even trying to tune them. A few years ago Lowes was selling handhelds that were never tuned before the sales with lots of them failing shortly after being used the first time.

S

SamD

If the tool is off limits so should be any engine parts that can affect emissions. In fact if one goes down that rabbit hole, it should be illegal for anyone to work on a mower in a way that can affect emissions when the engine falls under EPA or CARB standards unless they have a license from them showing competence and the proper sniffing tools. Maybe a biannual smog test too on all this equipment and an OBDC-2 type system. That seems the logical conclusion of going down the gotta be licensed to own an orange handled screwdriver rule.
Rabbit hole indeed. We CAN (and likely WILL) regulate ourselves right out of sanity..., or right into insanity.

B

bertsmobile1

Remember that the equipment we are talking about has already been banned in Cal and one by one every other state will follow suit.
Much easier & cheaper to ban home owners to meat CO2 abatement than to get a cement plant or steel maker to modify their production at very great expense .

S

SamD

Remember that the equipment we are talking about has already been banned in Cal and one by one every other state will follow suit.
Much easier & cheaper to ban home owners to meat CO2 abatement than to get a cement plant or steel maker to modify their production at very great expense .
Sadly, other states may follow the lead of the nutcases running CA, but I'll likely be pushing up daisies before that happens. The EPA, for all the good it does, is still another out-of-control federal bureaucracy that must do something to prove its worth from year to year. When pencil-pushers rule the land, we're all screwed...

B

bertsmobile1

In my Utopia all politicans would need the minimum of either a science or medical degree and must have been working in the real world for at least 10 years

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

People are usually hired because of a skillset they have and if they do a bad job they are fired. Politicians got the job because they won a popularity contest. No skillset required and they do not get fired for doing a bad job. Being elected OR appointed to a government position does not require knowledge or skillset.

sgkent

sgkent

StarTech - I would never advocate someone tinker with anything if they have someone with the tools to do the job better than they can. I am 71, almost 72 and have been working on engines and tuning them for 60 of those years. On more than one occasion I either refused to work on someone's something, or billed them extra because they tinkered with it after I had things working perfectly. Typically they did it to save $20 and it ended up costing them much more than that to put things right again. In general I will not work on something if someone else is going to work on it too. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

B

bertsmobile1

People are usually hired because of a skillset they have and if they do a bad job they are fired. Politicians got the job because they won a popularity contest. No skillset required and they do not get fired for doing a bad job. Being elected OR appointed to a government position does not require knowledge or skillset.
They get hired because of political manipulations to satisfy the faceless nameless back room power brokers
All they need to do is be 100% loyal to whoever is pulling the strings that works their mouths
That is the down side with parties providing candidates .
The good thing is you can always vote for an independent and right now the independents are pulling around 30% of the first votes in the elections we are abut to have.
Each side is busy telling the population that the other side can not be trusted without a second thought that people might just believe what they are saying and vote for neither major party .
Then again I am an optimist

T

TwinL

Anyone know where to find one of these asinine octagonal adjusters for a reasonable amount of money?

Had I known this blower had these adjusting screws, I might not have purchased it as I always work on my own equipment.

OR, can anyone recommend an aftermarket carb to replace the brand new one on this unit, one that I can adjust to make the blower run correctly?

Thank you!
I purchased this set on Amazon around $15.00, so far has fit everything I have worked on maybe not the highest quality but is doesn't take much torque to set the jets ,

ABOLE Carburetor adjustment tool Pac Man/Small Head Pac Man/Single D/Small Head Single D/Double D/Hexagon Hex Socket / 21-Teeth / 7-Teeth Splined Screwdriver for Common 2 Cycle Small Engine (Set of 8)​

Brand: XONOR

W

wingnut1955

i bought a set of carb tools on ebay came with a cheap carb cleaning brushes used them last week

matt man

matt man

S

SamD

It's not a hexagonal head; it's an octagonal head...

S

SamD

These sets don't have an octagonal head tool in them. That's where I am...

D

damoose

I bought mine at the stilh dealer $14.00 CDN. Part # 5910-890-2314.

D

damoose

also available on E-Bay

T

ttoolman

S

SamD

So many chiming in now are missing the original question, which is:
"Where does one find this tool AND for a reasonable price?"
Sure, I can buy it off FeeBay for $20-$30, but I'd rather pay a reasonable price.
Others post generic kits with a slew of tools to try to tackle all available mixture screws out there, but these kits do NOT contain the correct tool for the Stihl mixture screws with the octagonal head.

FWIW, when I was in a Stihl dealer a few days ago, I looked at some of the carbs on the new displays, and MANY of them had this octagonal mixture screw head... :-(

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

All you have to do is make the phone call....

R

rcleone

How bad you need it, sets the reasonable price

S

SamD

Got my carb adjustment tool today, and it works perfectly on these weird mixture screw heads. Best of all, it's the CORRECT tool, and I only paid $12.83.

thumbnail (1).jpg

S

SamD

All you have to do is make the phone call....

As I understood White's Farm Supply's website, they would not ship Stihl products of any kind. It is walk-in or local sales only.

G

Gord Baker

Glad you are not being picky. Are you going to frame it or use it?

S

SamD

Glad you are not being picky. Are you going to frame it or use it?
Why do you give a damn? Maybe try offering something constructive, otherwise....._______________. You can fill in the blank.
For what it's worth, I found what I was looking for on acceptable terms. Maybe you should also read the posts in the thread.

S

sootypipe

Why do you give a damn? Maybe try offering something constructive, otherwise....._______________. You can fill in the blank.
For what it's worth, I found what I was looking for on acceptable terms. Maybe you should also read the posts in the thread.
With all due respect, you could also have been a bit more helpful. I read the entire 6 pages of threads. It would have been helpful if you defined what a "reasonable price" was to you. Not knowing where you live does make a difference too. Canadian dollars are different and the east and west coasts just have different costs of living.

And also helpful to the rest of us: if you would tell everyone where you ended up getting your tool!

Enjoy your adjusting!

S

SamD

With all due respect, you could also have been a bit more helpful. I read the entire 6 pages of threads. It would have been helpful if you defined what a "reasonable price" was to you. Not knowing where you live does make a difference too. Canadian dollars are different and the east and west coasts just have different costs of living.

And also helpful to the rest of us: if you would tell everyone where you ended up getting your tool!

Enjoy your adjusting!
I got it from a Stihl dealer - won't mention which one, but I travel in VA, WV, NC, and SC regularly. It was in one of those four states - won't say which state or dealer so as not to get them flagged. Stihl, the company, calls it a "screwdriver" in their ordering system, so I suppose that gets them around the "carb adjustment tool" verbage...

B

Bounje

I just got one from my dealership for a reasonable price

StarTech

StarTech

Just remember Stihl over the years just like OEMs has use different tools for adjustments depending on both the EPA and their desire to keep thing propriety. The tool discussed here is the new 8 sided one. Previously it was a 6 sided version.

So before you run and buy one please verify which one you have.

G

Gord Baker

Geeeeze people. Take your meds.

StarTech

StarTech

Yelp, going to see my drug dealer today...That is the legal one.

Yes they whining over the cost, yet pay for other vices and not complain... My lord it is what it is. Just be thankful you can even get the tools. If the EPA had their way fully we would having to send the equipment back to the factories for this to be done.

And at least don't have to have custom made in a machine shop like one tool I needing to get made now. Ouch!

G

Gord Baker

It would have been helpful if a photo of the working end was shown close up. Agreed!