Better

x-wrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll try to do this right this time. I have a Craftsman riding mower, Model# 917.255561. I'm not sure what year it is, poss 1987? It has a 10 hp Briggs and Stratton eng, Model# 283707, Type 0217 01, Code 9208244D. I've owned it for 4 years and it has been a workhorse, with minor problems due mostly to normal wear.
Lately, it has developed a problem when fully warmed up, loaded or unloaded, where it cuts out, and back on, repeatedly. A hard surge I guess you could call it. It started to occur a while back, but only after mowing for 2 hrs. It has gotten progressively worse and now starts to surge after only 10-15minuets. If I lower the rpms, same surge. Does it at any rpm when engine is hot. The governor arm seems to be pulling the throttle back and forth, ergo the surge. I don't know if this could be a gov issue or something else. I did notice the other day that there was fuel sitting down at the bottom of the air filter housing where it goes into the breather tube. Possible needle and seat leak? so I pulled the carb off and found the float level way too high. Reset correctly, no change. Still surged and after sitting a while, raw fuel in same spot. Could a carb problem cause this? I know what an engine surge due to lack of fuel feels like, and this doesn't feel like a lean condition.
I'd really appreciate any help with this. This thing just feels like it has some good years left in it. I hope someone has been here before.
Thankful this forum is here, x-wrench.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When it starts surging, hold the throttle steady with your finger, and see how it runs. If the engine is running steady without missing, or running rough, then take it down to idle and see how it runs that way. If every thing runs good that way, may be a governor problem, or a binding linkage that is heat sensitive.

x-wrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
The linkage looks free and clear at all times. I can hold the gov arm by hand and keep the rpms steady. At idle, it has same surge condition if it's fully warmed up. Does the gov part inside wear out? Other than a rich high speed mixture, the gov is the only thing I can figure. How big a job is it to change the gov inside? Thanks. x.