Better mower ideas

thx712517

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was gifted an older Craftsman push mower with a 20" deck and a 158cc B&S motor. It's a lot better than what I've used previously, but as I mow I can't help but think of ways to make it better. From my perspective, better means more fuel efficient and quieter operation while retaining reliability.

So far the only thing I've done to the motor (a 10T802) is to replace the existing tuna can muffler with a Super Lo Tone. It's a nice step, but there's a long way to go. In quieting down the mower I was looking at an even larger muffler for one thing. I would love to convert to propane (I can see the gasoline vapor every time I refuel) but the only conversion how-to guides that I've seen are for a float bowl carb, rather than the carb/gas tank combo I have. I was also thinking of an engine cover or shroud that would cut down on noise transmission, but doing that while still getting air to the cooling fins will take some head scratching.

If I was starting from scratch I would try and find or design a blade resembling the stealth helicopter blade design that's out there to minimize sound production. I would have an OHC motor designed to run off of propane, and I would have a very large muffler. I like the idea of a rotary engine for the lack of moving parts, but the apex seals would be a concern. I also like the idea of the Coates rotary valve type of valvetrain, but finding a working example seems to be problematic.

Anyone out there making waves in propane conversion or stealth lawn mowers?