best way of leaf removal

boston

Threads
This year we have been using three people: 2 people with the backpack and 1 person with the walk behind blower. This method works ok but some houses have so many leaves that it still takes us over an hour to do it. When I try to suck the leaves up with the tractor, it either clogs or blows leaves out from under the deck which makes a big mess. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of buying another bp blower and hire another person but I need other opinions. Thanks

Last edited:
Threads
This year we have been using three people: 2 people with the backpack and 1 person with the walk behind blower. This method works ok but some houses have so many leaves that it still takes us over an hour to do it. When I try to suck the leaves up with the tractor, it either clogs or blows leaves out from under the deck which makes a big mess. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of buying another bp blower and hire another person but I need other opinions. Thanks

There are many things you could do. One would be to get a mower made for bagging (a.k.a. a Walker if you have that kind of money). They are excellent baggers. Or you could get another mower that is cheaper than a Walker but is a good bagger. Another would be to get a leaf plow attachment for a mower so after you get the leaves into a pile you can push it very quickly to where you need to put it. Lastly, you could get a blower mount for a ZTR mower so it can go faster. I know these ways are expensive, but other than the way you are doing it, they are probably the only other options. Attached are links to pics:
Leaf Plow for ZTR: http://www.the-mower-shop-inc.com/images/jrco/leaf_blade_demo.jpg
Leaf Plow for lawn tractor (this might be homemade): http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SnJ2NEjOsJQ/SwSBwNT1Q5I/AAAAAAAAAKI/PdVhvwYAd2E/s1600/Leaf+Plow+a.JPG
ZTR-mounted blower: FZ For Your ZTR | Billy Goat Industries, Inc.

boston

Threads
Ok thanks i like the lawn tractor plow

Threads
Ok thanks i like the lawn tractor plow

Yeah, pretty cool. I thought that would be good for you because that is what you have---a lawn tractor. That way you don't need to buy a separate mower or something.

slammed

Threads
And they are easy to build:thumbsup:

boston

Threads
How should I build one?

Threads
How should I build one?

Well that I have no idea. Maybe get some sheets of metal, weld them together, and somehow attach it?? I am not the person to ask (well actually you didn't ask me, I just felt like answering:laughing:).

slammed

Threads
Well first you will have to build the mount for your mower to hold the leaf plow and where it will go up and down. Then what I would use is some angle iron to make a frame for it. Something about 3 foot center with the sides at least 1 foot each going out at a 45 degree angle so 5 feet total you can make the sides where they move in or out with some hinges. After that I would use some kind of wire like welded wire for live stock and rat wire over it so leaves don't go throw it or (expanded metal a little pricey). And I would also use some rubber on the bottom of the whole thing as to not damage the turf.

boston

Threads
The problem is that I don't have a welder though. Can i buy one pre made ?