Best type/make/model for 1-acre of residential lawn with hills - did I buy wrong?

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
  • / Best type/make/model for 1-acre of residential lawn with hills - did I buy wrong?
I'd suggest maybe letting exortion look at what you got going on. He sounds willing and is experienced. It's disappointing to hear that about yourZTR. I don't know much about toro but I know they aren't popular in the Indianapolis area.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Best type/make/model for 1-acre of residential lawn with hills - did I buy wrong?
Nothing wrong with the Toro* machine, if you had described the conditions you have to the Dealer, they may have steered you to something more suited for steep grades, etc.
In the Toro owners manual they do describe that very steep grades are to be avoided.

Farmer across the way bought a commercial Steering wheel Cub Cadet "because" it was designed to hold like glue on steep slopes. & he confirms that it sure does.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nothing wrong with the Toro* machine, if you had described the conditions you have to the Dealer, they may have steered you to something more suited for steep grades, etc.
In the Toro owners manual they do describe that very steep grades are to be avoided.

Farmer across the way bought a commercial Steering wheel Cub Cadet "because" it was designed to hold like glue on steep slopes. & he confirms that it sure does.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with the Toro. The Timecutter just isn't suited or enough machine for the job or conditions he has. If he had gone to say the Toro Titan he probably wouldn't have had the problems he is having.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Every mowing I get better at coping with the problem areas, but that doesn't make it enjoyable. I've tried every approach angle and steering combination and it simply won't operate in those areas. There are a couple of slope where the Toro simply won't turn; it runs downhill and jumps into the fence like it is magnetized.

On your recommendations, I'll consider traction tires and/or filling with calcium chloride, but it's a bummer to learn the newer-supposedly-latest-greatest ZT requires major and expensive tire modifications just to operate as well as the olde stone age tractor mower.

On the plus side, the quality of cut is maybe better than the old Cub Cadet and of course, it's much faster. With the engine behind, it's subjectively quieter.

The Toro also starts instantly with no choke required in warm weather. On the CC, no matter the weather and even with a fresh tuneup, the old 13hp Kohler banger was a cold-blooded beast and required at least 15-20 seconds of choking and cranking to git 'er going.

jack vines

A good rule of thumb is if you can't back a mower up the hill your trying to mow then you shouldn't be using that mower on that hill. Filling the tires with water or anything else isn't going to help your problem or changing to a traction tire the same, it's not going to help only make things worse. The Time-cutter just isn't suited for your application and I would consider selling it and buying another ztr more suited for the job.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I mow this with a time cutter SS5000
Side to side.
The timecutter will handle more then people think it will.

For a homeowner with hills I would get the cub cadet or the timecutter with the steering wheel.

image-3672502827.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I mow this with a time cutter SS5000
Side to side.
The timecutter will handle more then people think it will.

For a homeowner with hills I would get the cub cadet or the timecutter with the steering wheel.

View attachment 27113

Really......:confused2:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Really......:confused2:

Yes really. It's not that hard even on a toro.
If you can not mow hills like this then you can not cut yards around here.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

Nor here

packardv8

Threads

FWIW, the pro who does some yards in the neighborhood with an Exmark is a nice guy. I told him my problem and asked if he thought I should be able to go downhill into the corner of the fence, make the 90-degree turn and come back up. "Sure, I'll show you how."

He drove my Toro down and crashed into the fence worse than I ever did and tore up the lawn much worse extricating it. He tried a couple of more approaches and techniques and finally said, "No way your mower is going in and out of that corner without damaging the turf. I might be able to do it with mine, but I'd rather not."

I'm now just making a wider arc across that corner and coming back to mow down in the corner and the other slopes with the walk-behind Honda. The quality of the cut is better with the Toro than with my old Cub Cadet tractor and the net time is the same or less.

The only problem remaining is always being aware on zero turns with the Toro it's easy to throw the bagger into a tree or post or fence. The old Cub Cadet tractor wouldn't turn tight enough to do that.

jack vines

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jack- Good luck with that. That must be a pretty mean hill. Is it wet under the grass ?

PS: Toro owns Exmark.