Best place to buy rings for my GXV120 motor

jsalis57

Threads
All,

I am getting ready to tear down my motor on my 214SX to replace the rings due to the usual smoking on startup as these engines wear. Where is the best place to buy the highest quality OEM Honda ringset? I heard the oil ring design has been modified so I want not only quality but the latest design.

Thanks in advance.

tadawson

Threads
I got rings from my Honda dealer, and got the new style. (3 pc oil ring as opposed to the old style 1 pc cast iron oil ring . . .)

jsalis57

Threads
I got rings from my Honda dealer, and got the new style. (3 pc oil ring as opposed to the old style 1 pc cast iron oil ring . . .)

Ok, thanks. I have read somewhere about the three peice oil seal deal. Are you happy with the results on your engine? what else did you do while in there?

tadawson

Threads
Very happy! Basically, it's new again- zero smoke, stronger, and always a 1 pull start. As noted, I measured everything, and all I did other than the light hone and rings were seals, gaskets, and added the intake valve stem seal that Honda added in later engines (mine is a 140 though, but I think the heads are basically the same).

Last edited:

Romore

Threads
Make sure everything is available before ordering, I could not find gaskets.

jsalis57

Threads
Thanks to all, going to tear into it soon.