Best Oil To Use For Kawasaki

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of the jobs of engine oil is to clean the engine by holding the contaminants in suspension so that they will be taken out of the engine when the oil is drained. 'Black' motor oil is not a bad thing. It's evidence that that the oil is doing its job of holding contaminants in suspension.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure Kawasaki has their own label on oil they have subbed out to get made.

I'm sticking to the Rotella T-4, I think it is superior to the Ktech oil Kawasaki labels.

And good oil like this you NEVER need to add "snake oil" additives to. That's what works for me.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cheapest Walmart Supertech 30w you can find. Get it in the 2 gallon jugs at Walmart for pennies on the dollar.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cheapest Walmart Supertech 30w you can find. Get it in the 2 gallon jugs at Walmart for pennies on the dollar.

But do you know what is in it ? Is it good for solid lifter engines ?

cruzenmike

Threads
I wan interested in this SuperTech oil so I started looking into it. I got a little concerned when Walmart's site only brought up an SAE30 that is a bar and chain oil with "tack additives." A Google search then found a non-detergent SAE30 lubricating oil that is "Not For Use In Automotive Gasoline Engines." I really started to worry for Slomo. Then I finally found what they call their "Conventional SAE HD-30" oil. Here is a link for it:

I am sure that you cannot come to any immediate conclusions just from reading the back of the bottle, but it does appear to work for automotive applications, but more specifically for severe-duty applications such as farm and construction equipment. This doesn't mean that it's perfect for a Kawasaki FS V-twin, but it does meet the highest API service category.

And Slomo is right, the price of this oil is cheap compared to most other small engine oils that I have been purchasing. I think that my Local Family Farm and Home sells Briggs SAE30 for about $8-9 a quart compared to the Super Tech at $3.12 a quart. And don't even get me started on my Exmark oil which might be closer to $10 a gallon. The only thing stopping me from even trying the Super Tech is that I will spend as much money in gas driving to a Walmart as I will save on buying the oil.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Walmart oil has no diesel classification approval, if that matters to the user.

FWIW, you can buy good, gasoline and diesel rated oil such as the Rotella T-4 that Buddy mentioned for around $3 a quart ($12/gallon).

Lawn Addict
Threads
(snip)
I am sure that you cannot come to any immediate conclusions just from reading the back of the bottle, but it does appear to work for automotive applications,

No you can not form any quick conclusions from merely reading the back of the bottle, you have go to the oil manufactures site & find the specs for that exact oil, & study them. At least that's what I do.

oldgray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last season I changed the oil in my mower that has a Briggs engine on it, I used 10-30 oil. It wasn't long it was smoking a little but as the season went on it became a fogger machine. I figured the engine was shot as the spark plug was completely fouled. Then I remembered the owners manual that says use 30 oil in it I changed the oil and a new plug and as soon as it got hot enough to burn the oil in the muffler, it quite smoking. I finished the season and has cut my grass once the season and no smoke and haven't added any oil.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems reading owners manual is worthwhile.. Cool, no more fogging machine.