Best 21 inch mower

Bacon8r

Threads
Hey guys,
What are your thoughts on the best 21 inch mower. I have a Honda that's 15 years old and is going to quit pretty soon, but it has been a great mower. I am looking to get a new mower, 800$ or under for semi heavy use. I mow 11 lawns a week after school for some extra cash, so that's what I'll be using it for. I preferably want to side/ rear discharge, and bag in the spring when the grass grows too fast. What are your thoughts? Excited to see your response. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys,
What are your thoughts on the best 21 inch mower. I have a Honda that's 15 years old and is going to quit pretty soon, but it has been a great mower. I am looking to get a new mower, 800$ or under for semi heavy use. I mow 11 lawns a week after school for some extra cash, so that's what I'll be using it for. I preferably want to side/ rear discharge, and bag in the spring when the grass grows too fast. What are your thoughts? Excited to see your response. :Thumbs up:

If your going to spend that much Opt for a couple of hundred more and buy the Toro Timemaster $999 you may be able to buy a little cheaper if you shop around. It's a 30" deck and can save a lot of time.

Toro 30 in. TimeMaster Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Walk-Behind Lawn Mower (50-State Engine)-20199 at The Home Depot

dfbrown

Threads
Hey guys,
What are your thoughts on the best 21 inch mower. I have a Honda that's 15 years old and is going to quit pretty soon, but it has been a great mower. I am looking to get a new mower, 800$ or under for semi heavy use. I mow 11 lawns a week after school for some extra cash, so that's what I'll be using it for. I preferably want to side/ rear discharge, and bag in the spring when the grass grows too fast. What are your thoughts? Excited to see your response. :Thumbs up:

Under $800 bucks? Honda hrx217hxa retails for 800 but most dealers sell them at least where i live is 699 plus tax. Absolute best bang for the buck 700 dollar mower on planet earth. mulches with dual blades, can discharge without have to buy a shute, or bag. It has blade brake clutch, hydrostatic transmission, the warranty is best in the business even though you will probably never use it, its light weight and its got a honda engine with 6.5hp. What else can i say. Nothing else for 800 bucks is even in the ballpark. Not even close. Just my 2 cents and I have owned about every 21in lawn mower alive in the last 25 years.

Threads
Under $800 bucks? Honda hrx217hxa retails for 800 but most dealers sell them at least where i live is 699 plus tax. Absolute best bang for the buck 700 dollar mower on planet earth. mulches with dual blades, can discharge without have to buy a shute, or bag. It has blade brake clutch, hydrostatic transmission, the warranty is best in the business even though you will probably never use it, its light weight and its got a honda engine with 6.5hp. What else can i say. Nothing else for 800 bucks is even in the ballpark. Not even close. Just my 2 cents and I have owned about every 21in lawn mower alive in the last 25 years.

I agree 100%! Or if you don't need the electric start feature you can buy the HRX217HYA and save $100. :thumbsup:

***I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

Bacon8r

Threads
What are all of your thoughts on the discharge capability othe HRX? I see it has the "European style" discharge where it sprays onto the ground behind you. Does the grass get in your legs and all? Thanks smile:

Threads
What are all of your thoughts on the discharge capability othe HRX? I see it has the "European style" discharge where it sprays onto the ground behind you. Does the grass get in your legs and all? Thanks smile:

I hardly ever use the rear-dicharge mode, but when I do it's through foot-tall grass. When I do, it does get on my feet a bit, but it might not if I was cutting shorter grass. :rolleyes:

Bacon8r

Threads
I hardly ever use the rear-dicharge mode, but when I do it's through foot-tall grass. When I do, it does get on my feet a bit, but it might not if I was cutting shorter grass. :rolleyes:

What do you do mostly then? Do you mulch? Or do you bag? I find myself bagging about 50% of the time, becuase my hrr doesent have the power to mulch that often. I would like to decrease how much bag because I have to empty the bag, which takes time, and the customers hate the lawn bags (taking them out to the curb because they are heavy). I was hoping that I could rear discharge more often, and take advantage of the 2 blades and finer clippings.

Threads
What do you do mostly then? Do you mulch? Or do you bag? I find myself bagging about 50% of the time, becuase my hrr doesent have the power to mulch that often. I would like to decrease how much bag because I have to empty the bag, which takes time, and the customers hate the lawn bags (taking them out to the curb because they are heavy). I was hoping that I could rear discharge more often, and take advantage of the 2 blades and finer clippings.

I mulch on all of my yards but one (he wants it bagged and dumped under some trees). The cut is great!! If you have any more questions I would love to hear them! :smile:

A_tank96

Threads
I agree with ric. I have a ztr for my business, but if i didnt, i would have the toro time master. It will save you a ton of time.