Best 2 cycle oil, and why

Kurttb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you running Opti-2 at 100:1?

slomo
I have been running Optimal ie. Opti-2 for 20 years. I use it in weedeaters, chainsaws, blowers, heck I even add it to the gas I put in my 69 Ford F-250 Explorer, 390; 1974 F-350 6 Cyl ; My 77 F-350 302. Opti-2 coats the cylinder linings. I believe it helps preserve unleaded gas to keep it from separating. I would not run anything else. I ran a Lawn & Landscaping business and a Tree trimming and removal business and never fouled a plug, occasionally a plug would quit but it wasn't from fouling. I have a PB210E Echo blower which is 20 years old and it still runs great. I also very rarely had to readjust my carbs. I am not familiar with Amsoil, I know they have great products, But I am very familiar with Opti-2. I use between 3 and 4 oz per 2.5 gallons. that is 3oz to 320oz gas. 100:1 - For older equipment and my trucks I use 4oz to 2.5 gallons By the way I always bought it by the gallon not the packets.

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing worth mentioning, IMO. Most all bottles have a date code on them. I only get the freshest oil/mix I can.
If a bottle sits UN-opened for 5 years, I'll give it away.

And any opened & re-closed, after a year MAX, I replace. Oil doesn't go bad, but the additives can & do.For that reason, I buy the smallest bottles or pillow-packs I will expect to use for 1 year ONLY.

Oil is cheap, the machines that use it are not.

bcarver205

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use Stihl silver because they extend the warranty. I bought mariyuma for the same reason. I mix one gallon at a time.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Stihl silver because they extend the warranty. I bought mariyuma for the same reason. I mix one gallon at a time.
That's about the best reason, IMO.

snorky1

Threads
there are multiple types of 2 stroke oil and each is blended and rated for that specific task...in small engines you want a high lubricity and a lower burn temperature to aid in combustion and reduction of soot/carbon/smoke. The only reason manufacturers say to use 50-1 is for epa regulations!!! the exact same chainsaw,blower,weed wacker etc in any other country will say to use 32 or 40-1.
I personally noticed a substantial difference switching from the cheap quicksilver multi use and super tech (not jaso rated) to schaffers full synthetic (both jaso fd and fc rated). I not only noticed a increase in power but also reduced cylinder head temps, a huge reduction in smoke...literally none after initial start up even mixed 32-1. last but not least is its viscosity at temperatures under 40f, the cheaper oils are super high viscosity when it gets cold vs the schaffers remaining very low viscosity. 8-14 bucks for the cheap stuff vs 28 for the fc/fd rated stuff made me wince pretty hard but the fact is a quart will last me a year or three

I have run 35-40 to 1 as my mix in everything and have never suffered a bottom end or top end failure even using the el cheap o oil. changing the plug, air filter and fuel pickup filter and keeping the carb in tune are also critical to engine longevity..if it runs funny stop using it and fix it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Rototiller says to mix 8 oz of Aeroshell 80 SAE40 oil to 1 gallon of gas.

My 90hp outboard is a 1979 and takes premix at 50:1. It leaves a pretty good oil slick when idling. On the great lakes boats are not allowed to leave an oil slick UNLESS they are old enough to be grandfathered before oil injection. Had a guy losing his sh!t because he saw my oil slick and called the coast guard on me. Guy shows up and asked the year of the motor was. I told him and he said fine. The tree hugger started yelling at him. You would have thought i was killing baby seals the way he was acting.

Last edited:

oldgearhead

Threads
I am a fan of Amsoil products. I only use their 2 stroke oil. I have had good luck with it running all my 2 cycles for the past 5 years. Burns clean, no deposits and plugs seem to last longer. My two cents.

Shady oak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sort of use whatever. Even if I ran 5 gals through my stuff the amount of oil is so insignificant the cost isn’t a factor. What is o find significant is using non ethanol for this application, since ethanol gas burns hotter. Also I treat each gallon mix with Sea Foam. I started this about 10 plus years ago, and since then have never had a 2 cycle down or in the shop. I don’t even remember changing a spark plug. I do drain and dry them every fall. But, I never dump last years gas, just run it when I need it the next year. Small engine guys love blaming the gas.... some have signs anything over thirty days old should be tossed. LOL. I transported gas for 40 years, I wonder if they don’t know how long some of it sits in those big tanks at the refinery tank farm?

gfr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've ran numerous brands. Can't really tell one from another. Most will lighten your wallet more with all the fancy extreme super duty ultra MAX info.

Lately I am running the 100:1 Opti-2 oil. This is on the expensive side. Again I can't tell if it's any better than say the Ace Hardware oil with fuel stabilizer in it.

What do you guys use and why?

slomo
I have used this for at least 20 years, I found it at a small engine shop and they swore by it.
I was skeptical because I had never heard of oil that could be used for any fuel:eek:il mix. It came in a pouch
that was enough for a gallon mix, so easy right. Never had a problem.

gfr

Forum Newbie
Threads
In my view, it is much more important to mix the oil to the fuel in the correct ratio than to worry about which brand you are using. I bought a tool that lets me measure the oil accurately and I made marks on my Jerry can so I easily know how much fuel I'm mixing by filling up to one of the marks and then putting the corresponding amount of oil in.
The beauty of opti 2 is the pouch, 1.5 or 1.8 ounces in a gallon of gas and you are good
if you need 16:1, 40:1, or whatever mix you require.