belt wont engage

fuzzman

Threads
I have a 2006 yard machine 38" cut. when I lower the lever to engage the blades nothing happens.. I've changed the belt and checked everything I could think of! the model # is13ah762f752. any suggestions r welcome thanks for any help I get!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming you have the engagement lever on the fender. Either the spring on the end of the engagement cable has broken, or the cable has broke where it attaches to the engagement lever.

NorthBama

Threads
I am assuming you have the engagement lever on the fender. Either the spring on the end of the engagement cable has broken, or the cable has broke where it attaches to the engagement lever.

I agree check the cable

fuzzman

Threads
yep the lever is on the fender. the spring and cable r ok! it looks as if the belt tension pulley isn't tightening the belt enough to engage the blades to full power. if the deck is up it has 3/4 power if I lower the deck it stops working all together! very frustrating I tell ya! it was fine when I put it up for the winter last year, and now its just giving me a headache!! lol

fuzzman

Threads
Ok this is where I stand now! I have got my belt on right and its finally turning the blades but only at 3/4 the power! The belt is about a 1/2" to an 1" sloppy.. Is there anyway to tighten it up?

Thanks for any help I get!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK now for the next step. Sit the mower under the shade tree, and place a nice comfortable chair off so the side, and stare at the side of the engine. What you are looking for is "does the engine appear to sit in low the front". I have seen more than one mower over the past 3-4 years where the deck belt wouldn't engage, and found out that the frame around the engine had stress relieved, and the front of the engine drops about 1/8 of an inch. that 1/8 moves the deck belt pulley back about 1/4-1/2 inch toward the rear.

Loosed the back two engine bolts, and remove the front two. Bolts are 9/16. slide a washer between the frame and the front mount area where the bolt goes through. Reinstall the front bolts, and then tighten everything down. May just fix your mower.

fuzzman

Threads
Thanks ilengine for the input I will do just that! hopefully it is the problem. I really don't feel like push mowing 2 acres again lol!! much appreciated!!!!

fuzzman

Threads
Question if I put the washers there anyway would that hurt the mower! because that's about what I'm lacking for tension! 1/2 inch or so!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When replacing some of the new horizontal engines with the old, we have to install 1" spacer under the engine sometimes to bring the crankshaft height up to the same as the old crankshaft. Washers under the front two engine mounts won't hurt a thing.

fuzzman

Threads
thanks for all your help ilengine I really appreciate it!!!! and that's what im goin to do put washers in and pray for the best! thanks again!!!:thumbsup: