Battery Yellow Light

millpog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Battery yellow light is off,or not lite till the mower deck PTO is engaged.Than the battery indicator yellow light stays on during the mower deck usage.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's not the battery light -- it is the PTO / Mower engaged light (tells you that the PowerTake Off is engaged) and if the mower deck is mounted the mower blades are engaged. :thumbsup:

OK - I could be wrong, it might be a battery / charging light.

While I'm here anyway, I wish they would use blue, red, and white instead of yellow, red, green -- especially when it is a single light (like on a charger) that is supposed to change from red to green when finished.
About 30% of the Male population has some colorblindness issues. Mine is red/green and I can't usually tell them apart.

Last edited:

rmancini

Threads
My JD LX277 with the 17 HP Kawasaki has been doing that lately.
When I engage the blades, the yellow (Hey -I'm not charging) light illuminates. A check with a Fluke meter confirms that it is not charging.
Most of the time while mowing, it resumes charging after 15 -20 minutes.
Rich

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
While I'm here anyway, [/B]I wish they would use blue, red, and white instead of yellow, red, green -- especially when it is a single light (like on a charger) that is supposed to change from red to green when finished.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
About 30% of the Male population has some colorblindness issues. Mine is red/green and I can't usually tell them apart. [/QUOTE]

I would really agree with that statement. Whoever thought of the single red to green charging light should be punished with red/green colorblindness.

millpog

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD LX277 with the 17 HP Kawasaki has been doing that lately.
When I engage the blades, the yellow (Hey -I'm not charging) light illuminates. A check with a Fluke meter confirms that it is not charging.
Most of the time while mowing, it resumes charging after 15 -20 minutes.
Rich

YES IT IS A YELLOW LIGHT,AND YES IT HAS A BATTERY DESIN IN THE LIGHT AREA.IT COMES ON WHEN TRACTOR LIGHTS OR PTO ARE ENGAGED.

rmancini

Threads
YES IT IS A YELLOW LIGHT,AND YES IT HAS A BATTERY DESIN IN THE LIGHT AREA.IT COMES ON WHEN TRACTOR LIGHTS OR PTO ARE ENGAGED.

Just checked mine again - just like yours, when headlights are on or blades engaged both cause the no-charge light to illuminate. Didn't realize the headlights caused it as well.
My battery is the original so it's getting on in years. I'm wondering if it's sulfated all to hell and simply won't accept a charge. How old is your battery?
Rich

cptpatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
A couple of weeks ago I went to start my LX255. Wouldn't crank so jumped it and started to use the PTO. I didn't realize that the yellow charging light was on until the PTO cut off ono its own and I noticed a funny burning smell. I shut down the mower and then tried to restart. It wouldn't so the next day I replaced the battery. It will crank now, but the yellow light is still illuminated and the mower cuts off if I try to engage the PTO.

What could be the possible problems?

rmancini

Threads
The first thing I'd look at is the limit switch under the seat. Try by-passing it by jumping across the two wires. Then try the PTO. If it engages, then you know you have a bad switch.
This is of course only one of probably dozens of reasons your PTO stalls out the mower but, at least it's easy to check.
Rich

cptpatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seat switch checked out okay. I replaced the rectifier/regulator. The PTO will now engage but the yellow light is still on. I heard it might go out if I run the engine for a little bit. Thoughts?