battery worthless

jcworks

Threads
Two questions. (1) 2013 Toro Timecutter. 23 hp Kawasaki. I bought a battery Feb 2023 and was told by the sales people 3-6 mo warranty is all they'll offer now. So, I bought one at Lowes with a 6 mo warranty, the best I could find. I went out to crank it today. Dead. I tried 8 amp and 12 amp but charger kicked out when the red check light came on. 2 amp wouldn't work either. I paid about $60 for that little battery and now its worthless. Anybody got any idea where I can get a good one? (2) Can I jump start this mower off my truck battery?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure it is not a Kawasaki engine, not Yamaha? Please post model and serial numbers for both unit and engine.

jcworks

Threads
Are you sure it is not a Kawasaki engine, not Yamaha? Please post model and serial numbers for both unit and engine.
Rivets, my mistake, yes I meant Kawasaki. Model FR691V engine. Mower model 74641

I put the Schumacher battery charger (2, 8, 12amp) on it and voltage runs up to about 4v, the Charge (red) light comes on and then off. Then the Charge light comes on briefly again and then off again and it quits trying to charge the battery. I even tried disconnecting the cables on the battery and charging it that way. Same result.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like both those batteries are junk. If it can to me I would be installing an Interstate battery SP-35. Should be priced about $65.00.

jcworks

Threads
R
Sounds to me like both those batteries are junk. If it can to me I would be installing an Interstate battery SP-35. Should be priced about $65.00.
Rivets, I'm no electronic whiz but I know the basics for a battery. I agree, the battery is probably shot. Eight months, can you believe it? Junk. Any time I pushed the charge button on the charger it immediately flashes one time red Check light then the charge rate goes to 2amp. The red Check light flashes again, then again, and then the charger quits charging altogether. I assume its telling me this battery is done. I'll check out the Interstate one. Thanks. I just didnt want to buy one in the dead of winter and waste 4 months of warranty.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is the Schumacher model so I check the owners manual?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any good repair shop or auto parts store should be about to load check the battery for you. Do this first before purchasing new.

jcworks

Threads
What is the Schumacher model so I check the owners manual?
StarTech, its model WM-1200A
Any good repair shop or auto parts store should be about to load check the battery for you. Do this first before purchasing new.
Yessir, I'll do that first. The charger is showing only 5.4 v. I can't get it above that because the charger keeps cutting itself off from charging after that red Check light blinks 2 or 3 times. I suppose thats a safety mechanism.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to the manual there is three lights. If the charging light is the one that is flashing the charger has gone into a desulfation mode. If it is the check light is flashing then the battery has had it.