battery tender

Glyn Robinson

Threads
do any of you guys use a battery maintainer for your rider during the winter? i realize a lot of you use your equipment during the winter. this question is for those who don't. thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have never liked battery tenders for a lot of reasons.
The best trick is to hook up a regular charger through a timing switch and give the battery around 1 hour of charge a week.

If you fitted the best battery , spiral wound, absorment glass matt, sealed & pressure valve regulated then do nothing other than dissconnecting it .

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Took my battery out of the lawn mower and have it hook up to my battery tender on my work bench, but I only plug it in periodically through the winter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never had any problems with battery minders. Have many customers and friends who use them on cars, trucks and tractors all winter long.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last battery I replaced lasted me 6 years thanks to the battery tender.

DK35vince

Threads
I'm not convinced battery tenders extend battery life.
My 2007 and 2009 motorcycles sit all winter and are still running original batteries and they have never had a tender on them.
The original battery in my tractor lasted 11 years (it does get used some for snow plowing the driveway in the winter). Never had a tender on it.

gainestruk

Threads
I have never used a battery tender, if you keep connections clean and tight you shouldn't have a problem if battery was fully charged when you parked it, most of my mowers battery lasts 6-8 years.
A worse problem over winter is letting fuel untreated sit in carburetor all winter which will gum it up, I always turn off inline fuel valve and run carb empty.