Battery drain

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have 3 of the internal resistance type testers. I bought 3 to compare them. They all three agree on all the measurements. They also agree with a $$$ snap on tester.
I load test a lot of customer batteries and also charge a lot of batteries. You can literally spend hours reading on the Internet about batteries (it pays off). My Noco charger 5 amp is my favorite.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I brought one those HF electronic battery testers and it works well. Just one the battery clips are junk and after a year they broke so it another one or a carbon pile version since test all the way to large vehicle batteries here. Just wish HF could provide replacement clamps.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 5 different chargers all probably 30 years old and all still work. Even the one I tried to back the boat trailer over. Bought a HF smart charger on sale. Crapped the second use. Bought a name brand smart charger and it crapped about the forth use. One 200 amp booster charger I got very used from a closed gas station over 30 years ago so it is probably 40+ years old and the volt and amp gauges don't work but it still charges batteries.
Still looking for a good high quality smart charger.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I brought one those HF electronic battery testers and it works well. Just one the battery clips are junk and after a year they broke so it another one or a carbon pile version since test all the way to large vehicle batteries here. Just wish HF could provide replacement clamps.
I have the HF internal resistance tester. One thing about It compared to the 2 other is that it is more particular about how well the clamps are attached to the battery than the others.
One of the nice things about the testers is you can tell a customer the actual CCA capacity of the battery and relative health. Plus you can quickly test the battery condition and the charging system in seconds.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just remember to wait 15-20 if the battery has been in use or recharged or you get a false reading with the HF tester.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I recharge a battery I just crank the starter for a few seconds and it removes the surface charge.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is highly likely the Briggs engine has a dual Stator without a voltage regulator.

And is a test that many probably don't know of for Lead Acid batteries. Take a meter on Dc Volts, place one lead on either the positive or negative post. Now take the other lead touch various places on the battery plastic case. If you get any voltage reading the battery case has become conductive and it will drain a fully charge battery in short order.
Okay you got my attention but how does, plastic, conduct??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT does not
But a surface layer of dust, oil & electrolyte do conduct which is anothrer reason why you paint over the terminal with liquid electrical tape or use a generous amount of grease