Bar oil

metz12

Well-Known Member
What kind of bar oil do you guys use? I use lumberjacks bar oil that i got from my dad but i dont think they make it anymore. I have heard of people using old oil from a car when you drain it out from an oil change but i dont really want to run that in my saw unless its really needed. thanks in advance.
 
Any dedicated bar oil is fine if made by a reputable oil company, as are the "branded" bar oils like Stihl, Husqvarna ....etc - you can also run hydraulic oil if it's cheaper to access.

If you're cutting lot's of timber & bar oil seems too expensive, it's also ok to run a c.70% bar oil/c.30% any engine/gear waste oil ( provided you filter/screen the waste oil first to remove any major contamination - a couple of layers of a fine cotton cloth/old t shirt ..etc will work ok as the filtering medium) - others may have a different view, but this is what we have been using for c.35yrs + in commercial logging/farming operations without any adverse impact on the durability of the saw oil pump or chain longevity.
 
Ace hardware makes a very good and inexpensive bar oil, for less than half the price of Stihl brand, I have used it for years & it seems to work well. :thumbsup:
 
Ace hardware makes a very good and inexpensive bar oil, for less than half the price of Stihl brand, I have used it for years & it seems to work well. :thumbsup:

Does the ace bar oil come in a gallon bottle that you know of?
 
Does the ace bar oil come in a gallon bottle that you know of?

Yes it does come in a gallon & it looks like about $12.99 per gallon around here. I got in a bind the other day and bought a quart of Stihl for $5.99, that sucked.
 
Yes it does come in a gallon & it looks like about $12.99 per gallon around here. I got in a bind the other day and bought a quart of Stihl for $5.99, that sucked.

hahaha ya ive been there, the battery in my mower died and i had no way to charge it because i rode my mower to the job i was doing so i couldnt jump it. and it was during the summer so all the people were working around the neighborhood so i had to go to autozone and buy a duralast battery that are sucky and i had to pay like 15bucks more than a good everstart battery at walmart! but anyways thanks for checking for me on the bar oil.
 
metz12 said:
hahaha ya ive been there, the battery in my mower died and i had no way to charge it because i rode my mower to the job i was doing so i couldnt jump it. and it was during the summer so all the people were working around the neighborhood so i had to go to autozone and buy a duralast battery that are sucky and i had to pay like 15bucks more than a good everstart battery at walmart! but anyways thanks for checking for me on the bar oil.

You do know that everstart is I low brand and duralast is I higher brand and I am thinking the duralast has more cca

Duralast is what NASCAR runs and some run a sears diehard

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
You do know that everstart is I low brand and duralast is I higher brand and I am thinking the duralast has more cca

Duralast is what NASCAR runs and some run a sears diehard

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

duralast batteries are really bad. anything electrical from autozone is bad. everstart batteries stay charged and charge faster than duralast. interstate batteries are the best though. then diehard.
 
Back
Top